Residents told to stay indoors with bomb disposal units called after 'suspicious item' found by child in canal

Residents were told to 'stay indoors' as streets were cordoned off by police following the discovery of a 'suspicious item' in a canal.

Emergency services, including police and fire crews, along with explosives units, descended on Shawhill Walk, in Miles Platting, shortly after 3.30pm on Wednesday (July 10).

It followed reports that a child, who was thought to have been magnet fishing in the Ashton Canal, pulled up a device, thought to be a suspected grenade.

READ MORE Murder suspect Kyle Clifford found and taken to hospital after huge police manhunt

Police were called to the scene and taped off Shawhill Road and Gleden Street. Residents told the Manchester Evening News how officers knocked on their doors and told them to stay inside.

"We were told it was a world war two hand grenade," one of the local residents said. "One of our neighbour's kids found it magnet fishing. He's gone and pulled it out of the canal.

The device was pulled out of the Ashton Canal
The device was pulled out of the Ashton Canal -Credit:Manchester Evening News

"Police knocked on all of our doors; there's only two ways into the close where we live and they cordoned if off and at the car park off the main road. They told us we have to stay indoors and are escorted if we leave.

"But the police seem to be all nice and calm about it. I think they are waiting on bomb units to turn up, but police and the fire service have been here for a few hours."

Greater Manchester Police confirmed the Explosive Ordnance Disposal Unit had been called out to the scene to assess the item. It was later confirmed to be a hollowed-out hand grenade that was not live or dangerous.

A force spokesperson said: "At around 3.35pm, we received report of a suspicious item being discovered in the canal close to Shawhill Walk, Manchester. Officers are in attendance and enquiries are ongoing.

"There is not believed to be any threat or risk, but members of the public are asked to avoid the area as officers carry out their work."

Later in the evening, GMP added: "We are pleased to confirm that the item has been assessed and is not live or dangerous. Local residents have been updated and the scene closed. Thank you for your patience whilst we’ve dealt with the incident."