Retired British Steel crane driver bit, hit and strangled his ex

A "controlling" thug bit, hit and strangled his ex-girlfriend in a drunken rage.

Redcar's Alan Jefferson has left his former partner with PTSD following repeated violence against her. Teesside Crown Court heard during one incident he bit the woman before strangling her and in another he pushed her and grabbed her by the throat.

The court heard the pair started dating around March 4, last year with the woman initially describing the relationship as "amazing". However, prosecutor Elisha Marsay said around nine months into the courtship the defendant began to change.

Mr Marsay said on the afternoon of December 2, last year, the pair met at The Ship Inn, in Marske, to have a drink and discuss their relationship. She said between 5.30pm and 6pm they returned to the defendant's address in Redcar where they ordered food and had more drinks.

However, the court heard the defendant said "right, off you go" which took her by surprise. He then reinforced this by saying "no you need to go". The prosecutor said he handed [name of complainant] his phone and told her to call a taxi however, things escalated when she saw another woman was ringing him.

Ms Marsay said when the woman demanded to know what was going on when the defendant attacked her. She said: "The defendant grabbed her by her gilet and threw her around the room. He threw her to the floor. [Name of complainant] told the defendant that she needed the toilet which he allowed but watched her.

"The defendant then grabbed her and threw her against the porch door. He held her by her jacket around the shoulders and banged her head against the door. He then threw her against a chair, hit her to the face and bit her just under the left eye socket. She screamed and he told her to be quiet otherwise neighbours would hear."

The court heard she managed to escape by going into another room but he followed her and strangled her. Ms Marsay said the pair wrestled as she tried to flee and he hit her in the face. The court heard the abuse only stopped when she said "this would not make your mother proud" - causing the defendant to cry and apologise.

The following day the relationship was ended and the abuse was reported to police by the victim's daughter. Her mum then gave a full account at the police station.

Ms Marsay said she also told police about two further attacks which happened on October 28 and November 28. The court heard during an October incident, the pair were staying at a Travelodge when the defendant became jealous. Ms Marsay said: "He grabbed her, pushed her around and bit her on the chin."

A month later, they had an argument in a taxi which continued at the defendant's address, before he attacked her, the prosecutor said: "He pushed and shoved her with both hands and grabbed her by the neck and shoulders. [Name of complainant] threw a glass at the radiator to stop him shouting but he kicked off. He grabbed her by the neck. He later apologised and said he ruined her birthday."

The court heard in police interview the 58-year-old defendant admitted the offences. At an earlier court hearing, he pleaded guilty to the following:

  • Assault occasioning actual bodily harm

  • Intentional strangulation

  • Assault by beating x2

In a victim impact statement the domestic abuse survivor said she had to take time off work due to the incidents and now her employer has failed to renew her contract as a support worker for vulnerable children. She said her mental health has suffered and she is on medication.

She said: "Due to the the situation I have sought medical assistant to help with my mental health. I was diagnosed with PTSD and have been medicated for this. I have nightmares and flashbacks. He had me firmly under control and made me feel like everything was my fault and that I deserved to be punished. He used to control me to the point that I was obedient. He would hide me from people and ensure I was not seen to be with him to the point that he would make me hide upstairs when people came round."

In mitigation, the court heard the Keswick Road defendant is sorry for his actions and has worked hard all his life, first in the building trade before going on to work for British Steel as a crane driver.

The defendant was handed an 18-month prison sentence suspended for two years. He must complete 35 days rehabilitation and carry out 300 hours unpaid work. He must also comply with a 120-day alcohol abstinence monitoring requirement and a restraining order.