Ricky Wilson has vowed that he will not be moving with The Voice over to ITV and would rather ‘bow out gracefully’ than stay on the judging panel.
Confirming he won’t return for the 2017 series, Ricky told The Mirror’s 3am: “This is my last one anyway, yeah. I was going to bow out gracefully.
“I don’t think ITV would want me. They would want to have a totally new show.“
Don’t they already have a talent show, anyway? Y’know – called X Factor.
That means that this series of the show will be the Kaiser Chiefs front man’s last.
Earlier this week it was announced that the BBC show had been bought up by ITV after the BBC stepped down refusing to get into a ‘bidding war’ with the commercial channel.
However, Ricky feels that the Beeb should have put up more of a fight for their format.
“I think the argument about the BBC shouldn’t be competing with ITV is nonsense because you should always be competing, as that is the only way things get better,” he says.
“Light entertainment is a huge part of people’s lives,” he went on, adding:
"The great British public, that is what they want on Saturday night – they don’t want to be force fed something educational, there is something so important about entertainment. It is equal to education.”
And if that’s the case, then we can vouch that between Strictly, The X Factor and The Voice, we are definitely learning a lot.