Rugby player left disabled for life after eating slug as dare at birthday party

Sam became a paraplegic after eating slugs (Facebook)

A rugby player in Australia became a paraplegic after swallowing a garden slug as a dare at a birthday party.

Sam Ballard, 28, became seriously ill after he ate the creature whole at a birthday party in Sydney, Australia.

After initial tests, doctors discovered that he had been infected with rat lungworm, which resulted in a infection on his brain.

He subsequently fell into a coma for 420 days after contracting eosinophilic meningoencephalitis – a strand of meningitis.

The talented rugby player spent three years in hospital and now uses a wheelchair for life, as well as suffering continued seizures.

Sam became a paraplegic after eating a slug (Facebook)

But while his mother Katie continues to care for him, she faced a new challenge last year when she was told that a huge disability allowance package would be slashed.

In 2016, she applied to the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) when Sam became eligible for a £300,000 package.

Last September,  the NDIS texted Ms Ballard to confirm that a review of his plan had slashed his allocation to around £75,000.

Now, the massive funding cut means that the Ballard family face huge debts, currently owing £25,000 to a nursing service.

‘It’s devastated, changed his life forever, changed my life forever. The impact is huge’, she said of her son’s battle.

The lungworm swallowed by the 28-year-old is usually found in rodents, but most people develop no symptoms at all.


By using Yahoo you agree that Yahoo and partners may use Cookies for personalisation and other purposes