Sam Smith forced to cancel more tour dates on doctor's orders to focus on ‘recovery and health’

S?O PAULO, SP – 05.04.2019: LOLLAPALOOZA BRASIL 2019 – Sam Smith performs on the Onix stage of Lollapalooza. S?o Paulo, April 05, 2019. (Photo by Van Campos/Fotoarena / Sipa USA )

Sam Smith has cancelled more live performances, on doctor’s orders, saying that he has to focus on his “recovery and health”.

This means the 26-year-old singer will no longer perform at either next week’s Billboard Music Awards in the US or at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix at the weekend.

The cancellations have been announced after the star walked off stage in Cape Town 45 minutes into his show. Smith had earlier told fans on Instagram that he’s been suffering with anxiety.

Read: Sam Smith says ‘I’m not a man, I’m not a woman, I’m just me’


Smith’s Twitter account has put out a statement saying: “In the wake of cutting his South African tour short last week, Sam’s medical specialists are requiring him to have further rest.

“Regrettably this means that he will be unable to perform at the Azerbaijan Gran Prix in Baku this weekend or the Billboard Music Awards in Las Vegas next week.

“We apologise for the disappointment for those affected, but the primary focus at this time needs to be on Sam’s recovery and health.”

Read more: Sam Smith Reveals He Got Liposuction at Age 12

Smith’s Instagram Stories give more information on his state of mind. He writes: “The last week, or so I’ve been doing these incredible shows, and from my pics, I look super happy and calm and collected, and I am happy, and sometimes I am calm.

“But the last few weeks my anxiety has been SO F**KING INTENSE!! I can’t even begin to explain.”

He added: “I’ve felt completely out of control and as if I’m going to snap and everything is going to come undone.

“However, for the first time ever I have been trying to really tackle and fight against these horrible thoughts and tidal waves of fear.”