Advertisement

Scooter Battery Causes Large Fire in Bronx Supermarket

A lithium-ion battery in an e-scooter caused a large fire in a building in the Bronx, New York, on Sunday, March 5, the local fire department said.

The New York City Fire Department (FDNY) released footage showing the fire, which they said was at a supermarket on Grand Concourse. The department released other footage showing the building in flames.

Local media citing officials reported around 200 firefighters and medics responded to the fire, which spread quickly.

The fire department later tweeted advice for using a lithium-ion battery. It advised people to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for charging and storage and use the manufacturer’s cord and power adapter. “If a battery overheats, discontinue use immediately,” the department said. Credit: FDNY via Storyful

Video transcript

[NO AUDIO]