Scots driver who killed grandad in horror crash after dangerous overtake is jailed

Victim Anthony Duncan
-Credit: (Image: DR)

A driver who killed a van driver in a horror double crash in Aberdeenshire has been jailed for four years and three months.

Kyle Reid, 27, lost control when he tried to overtake a vehicle on the A947 near Whiterashes on December 11, 2020.

Reid's Ford Focus entered the wrong side of the road when he skidded and struck an HGV driven by Michael Malone.

The collision caused Mr Malone's lorry to hit 62-year-old Anthony Duncan's VW transporter van, killing him, while passenger Stuart Morrison, 58, was seriously injured.

Reid later denied performing the overtaking manoeuvre which caused the death of Mr Duncan - known as 'Web' - when quizzed by police around nine months after the crash.

Reid pled guilty to causing Mr Duncan's death and Mr Morrison's severe injury by dangerous driving.

He was sentenced today at the High Court in Glasgow.

The crash lead to Mr Duncan's death
The crash lead to Mr Duncan's death -Credit:DR

Judge Lord Mulholland said: "You were travelling too fast at 71 miles per hour which was 18 to 19 percent above the maximum speed for this road.

"You overtook a vehicle and when you lost control you oversteered and were unable to correct this.

"You entered the other lane reserved for vehicles travelling in the opposite direction and connected with the front of a lorry which then lost control.

"The lorry collided with the van driven by Anthony Duncan when he lost his life and his passenger Stuart Morrison was seriously injured.

"These collisions need not have happened if driving in a safe manner.

"A motor vehicle can be used as a lethal weapon in the wrong hands and unfortunate for them it was in your hands that day.

"You have caused untold grief and misery for Mr Duncan and Mr Morrison's families and have given Mr Duncan's family a life sentence.

"He was a much loved partner, father and son. I read the victim impact statement from his widow which was heart wrenching.

"You denied carrying out the overtaking manoeuvre which was a deliberate attempt to avoid responsibility for the collision nine or 10 months after it.

"You had plenty of time to work out what you were going to say to the police and this was not done in a state of panic."

Reid, of Insch, Aberdeenshire, was also disqualified from driving by 11 years and seven months at the sentencing.

It was revealed that he has previous convictions for speeding and driving without insurance as well as with no licence.

Gareth Jones KC, defending, told the sentencing that his client shows "empathy" towards his victims.

The advocate added: "Mr Reid suffered significant injuries during the collision and has had to go through lengthy rehabilitation.

"He feels extremely uncomfortable in discussing the nature of his injuries he sustained and the effect it had on him as it pales in comparison to the injuries of his victims."

Mr Duncan - who was involved with his local Highland football team Turriff United for 10 years - was hailed as a "genuine legend" in a tribute posted by the team after his death.

His family's statement said: "We are heartbroken that Web was tragically taken from us. Web will be remembered for his selfless loving nature."

They said the "loving husband, devoted dad, granda, brother and friend" would be "sorely missed by all".

Don't miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond - Sign up to our daily newsletter here.