'Severe damage' to house after two tumble dryer catch fire in area on same day

The tumble dryer fire badly damaged the house
Damage caused to a tumble dryer after a fire in Mynythno, Gwynedd -Credit:North Wales Fire and Rescue Service

A spate of tumble dryer fires has prompted a stark warning from fire chiefs after severe damage was inflicted on a house. The latest incident occurred in Mynythno on Tuesday afternoon (April 9), marking the second tumble dryer-related blaze in Gwynedd within 24 hours, and adding to a recent series of similar fires across the region.

An investigation is now underway to determine if there is "any correlation". In an effort to raise awareness and prevent further incidents, the fire service has shared images of the charred remains of the tumble dryer from the Mynythno fire. The intense fire resulted in "severe damage" to the property, with two occupants needing hospital checks as a precaution.

Earlier that same day, at 2.06 am, firefighters responded to another tumble dryer fire in an outbuilding in Caernarfon. This follows previous incidents in Broughton on March 25, which affected two homes, and fires in Denbigh on March 6, Buckley on March 3, and Ruthin on February 28. For the latest Welsh news delivered to your inbox sign up to our newsletter

Read more: The street where buses pass inches from terrified people's front doors

Read more: No heatwave but Met Office says temperatures will hit 18C this weekend

Paul Kay, head of fire safety for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service, said "A fire can be devastating for all involved - causing damage and disruption and in the worst cases, loss of life", reports North Wales Live. “We’re appealing to residents to follow some simple steps we should all be taking when using our tumble dryers to help everyone stay safe.”

Damage caused to a tumble dryer after it went on fire in Mynythno, Gwynedd
The local fire and resce service has issued a warning after the two fires -Credit:North Wales Fire and Rescue Service

He urged residents to adopt simple safety measures when using tumble dryers to reduce the risk of fire. These precautions include:

  • Don’t overload plug sockets - the high wattage for a tumble dryer means that it needs its own 13-amp socket. Keep an eye out for any scorching or burn marks, including checking any visible electrical wires.

  • Don't leave appliances unattended – don't turn the tumble dryer on before you leave the house or go to bed. Tumble dryers contain powerful motors with fast moving parts that can get very hot.

  • Keep your dryer well ventilated, make sure the vent pipe is kink free and not blocked or crushed in any way.

  • Always clean out the filter after using your tumble dryer.

  • Always allow each drying programme, including the 'cool down cycle', to complete fully before emptying the machine. If you stop the machine mid cycle, the clothing will still be hot.

  • Don’t ignore the warning signs – if you can smell burning or clothes feel hotter at the end of the cycle, stop using your appliance and have it checked out by a professional.

Paul emphasised the importance of having a functioning smoke alarm and regularly testing it, recommending a weekly check. Urging residents to prioritise safety, he advised: "You should also ensure you have an escape plan for you and your family should a fire occur and once you're out of the house, you should always stay out, and never go back in."

He added: "No trend had been identified as yet with make/models - the most important thing is for all residents to follow our safety advice when using all tumble dryers. We're undertaking an internal review of all incidents to better understand if there is any correlation."