Following the needless death of a much-loved teen, here is a list of all of the suspected killings reported in London since the start of 2019 less than three months ago.
The capital in particular has seen shocking levels of violence and knife crime since the beginning of the year.
As the family of Jodie Chesney – a 17-year-old who was stabbed to death in an unprovoked attack in an east London park – have issued an emotional plea for the end of needless violence.
Her grandmother, Debbie, said: “This was our youngest granddaughter.
“How have we come to this point where kids can’t have a walk in a park without suffering an unprovoked attack?
“If anyone knows anything about this please contact the police with information.
“We don’t want anyone else to go through what our family is suffering right now.”
Sadly, the Chesneys aren’t the only family to lose a loved one to crime in the capital.
Here is a list of homicides in London so far in 2019:
- January 1: Charlotte Huggins, 33, is believed to have been the first homicide victim in London in 2019. She was stabbed in Camberwell, south-east London, in the early hours of New Year’s Day.
- January 1: Later that day, security guard Tudor Simionov, also 33, was stabbed to death at about 5.30am as he tried to prevent gatecrashers storming a private party in Park Lane, central London.
- January 4: Simbiso Aretha Moula, 39, was found murdered in her home in Rainham, east London. Her husband, Garikayi Moula, was found hanged. Police were not seeking anyone else in connection with the murder.
- January 5: Sarah Ashraf, 35, was found dead in a home in the Isle of Dogs, east London. A 32-year-old man was charged with murder.
- January 8: Just 14 years old, Jaden Moodie was knocked off a moped and stabbed to death in Leyton, east London.
- January 11: Asma Begum, 31, was found with a neck injury in a property City Island Way, Tower Hamlets. A 46-year-old man was charged with murder.
- January 27: Kamil Malysz, 34, was found stabbed to death in a shared house in Acton, west London.
- January 29: Nedim Bilgin, 17, was the victim of a knife attack in Caledonian Road, Islington, north London.
- February 3: A 46-year-old man was found dead at a medical facility in Highgate, north London. A 21-year-old was charged with murder.
- February 5: Lejean Richards, 19, was fatally stabbed in Battersea, south-west London.
- February 10: A man, believed to be in his 30s, was found fatally stabbed in East Dulwich, south-east London.
- February 18: Bright Akinleye dies after walking into a hotel reception in Camden, north London, with stab wounds.
- February 19: Brian Wieland, 69, found dead with multiple head injuries at his home in Chingford, east London.
- February 21: Glendon Spence, 23, was killed outside a youth club in Brixton, south London. Police have charged two 17-year-olds with murder.
- February 22: Kamali Gabbidon-Lynck, 19, was murdered in Wood Green, Haringey. Police said that he and a another man, aged 20, were both found with stab wounds.
- February 25: Spaniard David Lopez-Fernandez, 38, was pronounced dead after being found with stab wounds at an address in Globe Road in Tower Hamlets, east London. A 36-year-old man was charged with murder.
- February 26: Che Morrison, 20, died after being stabbed to death outside Ilford station in east London.
- March 1: Jodie Chesney, 17, was stabbed to death in an east London park.
- March 2: A 50-year-old was found dead with fatal knife injuries at a property in Hendon, north-west London. A 54-year-old man was arrested at the scene on suspicion murder.
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan has announced there will be extra police patrols following the death of Jodie Chesney.
He also tweeted a video from his “London needs you alive- so don’t carry a knife campaign.