Shocking moment gangster who fled from prison is arrested while buying sandwich

The shocking moment a gangster who fled from prison was caught and arrested while trying to buy a sandwich has been caught on camera.

Armed police raided a local off-licence on Albion Drive on June 25 after the convict escaped from prison around a month ago.

The former gangster was buying a sandwich but seconds later he was staring down the barrel of a gun and ordered to get down to the floor.

A second man, who is seen standing outside the shop, is also believed to have been taken away by police, although it is yet to be confirmed as to whether any further arrests have been made, reports the ECHO.

An eyewitness who saw the shocking incident claims Gee was laughing and joking with police after complying with officers.

Six unmarked police cars are believed to have attended the scene, with the road being blocked off, as armed police are seen running up the gravel path to the shop.

The man, who asked to remain anonymous, said: "Yesterday he was buying a sandwich he was chatting away then the next minute the police came from nowhere.

"They must have known he was in the shop. He complied with officers as they told him to get on the ground. They handcuffed him and he was smiling and laughing with them as he was led away."

The former gangster, who turned his estate into a 24-hour drug trading zone, fled from Kirklevington Grange prison on May 27 and stayed on the run before his arrest on Tuesday.

Gee was originally jailed on an indeterminate sentence for the public's protection in 2010 following his conviction for gun offences after he plotted to arm himself to take revenge against a teenager.

The courts heard he had plotted to arm himself after making death threats to 16-year-old gunman Jamie Starkey.

Gee was seriously injured after being shot by Starkey, which happened outside an Anfield pub in the early hours, with one of the bullets piercing his stomach and lung before going out his back.

In a trial in October 2009, Gee was found guilty of two counts of threats to kill and another two of blackmail.

Jurors were unable to agree on the two more serious charges of conspiracy to murder and conspiracy to possess firearms and ammunition.

As his second trial was about to start, Gee admitted the second charge. Prosecutor Ian Unsworth KC said Gee’s desire for revenge “knew no bounds”.

Given Gee was in a category D open prison before he absconded, it was likely he would have soon been released from his indeterminate sentence.

However, following his capture, he will be returned to prison and will have to serve additional time before he is eligible for parole.

One neighbour, Angela Whalley, a mum-of-one who has grown up in the area said it had since gone downhill and explained: "It's just got worse.

"We used to leave the doors open, people would come in freely, we knew all our neighbours when I was growing up. It's all changed now.

"There used to be a waiting list to live on this estate, now look at it. There's drug dealing outside the front door, cars come and go, lads on push bikes. I've lived here all my life, it's a shame."

Don't miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond - Sign up to our daily newsletter here.