Stansted Airport chaos as travellers miss flights after power cut causes two-hour queues

Travellers at Stansted Airport have missed their flights after a power-cut created two hour long queues.

Power was down at the busy airport on Monday morning but has since been restored.

Ben Church, 49, told the Standard he missed his flight to Edinburgh for a “vital” business meeting after being stuck queuing for two hours at Stansted early on Monday.

He described how it was “chaos” as he entered the terminal at around 6.45am.

Mr Church said: “I could not believe it was that busy on a Monday morning. It took 45 minutes just to get to the security gate.

“You could not move. They were constantly moving the barriers and making the lines longer. It was just absolute chaos.”

Mr Church said that queues became so long at one stage that one airline was unable to check people into their flights as the foyer became so busy.

The businessman rushed to his gate once he was finally through security but it had already been shut.

He said leaving the airport he saw at least 50 people who had missed their flights amid the chaos despite having checked in.

Alice Butler, 25, missed her flight after queuing for two hours in the fast check-in line at the airport.

She told the Standard the scenes were “carnage” as she tried to board her flight to Alicante in Spain.

The customer service specialist from Hemel Hampstead said: “We arrived at London Stansted this morning at 6.30, we paid for fast track check-in however there already was a queue from the entry door as soon as you walk in.

“After being in the queue for an hour we had only moved a little bit. Another 30 minutes went by to where we could finally see staff.“There was no reassurance from the staff and all they were saying was there was a power issue and only a few machines were up and running.

“As you can imagine there was people waiting who had already missed their flights.”

Ms Butler and her partner were five minutes late to their gate and missed their flight.

She added: “We thought they would have made an exception considering the fault was on the airport’s side but we were told it was our fault and we had to book and pay for a new flight and a new transfer.”

Stansted Airport has apologised for the disruption. A statement on X said: “Earlier this morning we experienced a partial power outage in the terminal that affected a number of airport systems, including check-in, security and baggage.

“Power is now restored and our teams are working hard to get systems back up and running as quickly as possible.

“However, it is taking slightly longer that usual for passengers to pass through the terminal while systems recover.

“Flights are operating as normal but passengers are advised to allow plenty of time for their travel and check with their airline for the most up-to-date flight information.”