Steps cancel remaining tour dates after more crew contract Covid
Steps have announced they are cancelling the final two shows of their tour after more members of their crew contracted coronavirus.
The band announced at the weekend they intended to continue performing without Lee Latchford-Evans after he tested positive for COVID-19 at the weekend, but having played London's O2 arena, they have now announced they are postponing their final tour dates in Cardiff and Bournemouth until next year.
Steps said in a statement: "Hi everyone. Unfortunately we now have further positive COVID-19 cases in our touring party which have made continuing with the 'What The Future Holds' tour impossible.
Read more: Steps say they lived on £50 a week in early days of stardom
"For the safety of everyone involved in the show we have decided to reschedule tonight's Cardiff show and Wednesday's Bournemouth show to summer 2022 (dates to be announced soon).
Watch: A further 37,681 COVID cases recorded in UK
"We have tried every way possible to continue with our final shows, however we have to put everyone's health and safety as our top priority.
"We are so disappointed to postpone these shows as we were really looking forward to performing for you all."
An update on the final two shows of the tour. #WTFHTour
- Claire, Faye, H, Lisa & Lee pic.twitter.com/H5PRfnsEh2
— Steps (@OfficialSteps) November 29, 2021
"We appreciate your continued support and hope you will join us in wishing those affected a speedy recovery."
Faye Tozer had only just rejoined bandmates Claire Richards, Lee Latchford-Evans, Lisa Scott-Lee and Ian ‘H’ Watkins on Saturday night at the O2 after she caught Covid and was forced to isolate in line with government guidelines.
Latchford-Evans, 46, then contracted the virus.
He said: "Covid has knocked us out right in the final round but we will come back fighting stronger."
A statement on Saturday announced: "We are sorry to report that in disappointing new, Lee has this morning tested positive for Covid-19 which means he is now isolating and will unfortunately be absent for the remainder of the 'What the Future Holds' tour.
"We intend to carry on with the remaining three shows while the rest of us test negative.
"In good news Fay returns from her isolation today and will be performing at the O2 tonight."
Tozer, 46, had said she was "baffled and gutted" to discover she had caught Covid and had to miss several tour dates, including Leeds, Glasgow and Brighton.
She said: "I am baffled and gutted after being so tight on our preventative measures.
"Thankful for our daily testing to have been able to recognise it and so the show can still go on.
"Please give the guys the biggest love as they continue to smash the shows and I hope to be back soon x"
Dance band Steps were formed in 1997, releasing their first single 5,6,7,8 that same year.
Their hits include Tragedy, Stomp, One For Sorrow, and Better Best Forgotten.
The announced their split on Boxing Day in 2001.
Richards and Watkins, 45, went on to form a due H & Claire, and the band reunited between 2011 and 2013 and again in 2017.
Read more: Ed Sheeran missed album launch after positive COVID test
Watkins became part of the first all-male coupling on Dancing On Ice last year and Scott-Lee, 46, has also competed on the ITV reality show.
Richards, 44, has taken part in Celebrity Big Brother and Celebrity MasterChef, while Tozer took part in Strictly Come Dancing in 2018.
Watch: Faye Tozer's mother was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2019