At least three people were killed and three others missing in Italy’s Emilia-Romagna region, local media reported on May 17, after heavy rain caused flash flooding in a number of towns and cities.
3B Meteo reported that over two months worth of rain fell in the space of 48 hours.
Italy’s national fire service, the Vigili del Fuoco, said 600 firefighters from all over the country had carried out at least 450 rescues.
Civil Protection Minister Nello Musumeci told Radio24 that at least 5,000 people had been evacuated, with that number expected to rise.
Video posted by Twitter user @corezzimau on May 16 showed an inundated street in Cesena, with a car seen partially submerged.
Cesena’s mayor, Enzo Lattuca, said local rivers broke their banks, causing flooding.
Lattuca said some residents took refuge on their roofs and had to be rescued by helicopter.
The rain was set to continue on Wednesday, with the weather system gradually weakening towards the evening, 3B Meteo said. Credit: @corezzimau via Storyful