Advertisement

‘The Talk’ Pausing Season Premiere Amid Strike Backlash

CBS has reversed its plan to premiere The Talk on Monday.

The Talk is pausing its season premiere scheduled for September 18, CBS said in a statement. We will continue to evaluate plans for a new launch date.”

More from Deadline

The announcement follows Drew Barrymore’s decision today to pause the return of her self-titled talk show Monday as well, amid WGA backlash. The Drew Barrymore Show is produced and distributed by CBS Media Ventures.

WGA picketers had targeted The Talk outside CBS Radford since it was announced that the show planned to return.

The Talk, hosted by Akbar Gbajabiamila, Amanda Kloots, Natalie Morales, Jerry O’Connell and Sheryl Underwood, went dark in May as a result of the writers strike.

At the time it was revealed that the show would return, sources said that The Talk is primarily unscripted and only has one writing position on its staff of around 150 employees. No one will be handling this writing role during the writers strike and hosts will be ad-libbing.

The Talk, which is produced by CBS Studios, is heading into Season 14.

Rob Crabbe, who was previously exec producer of The Late Late Show with James Corden, is now showrunner and exec producer of The Talk after Kristin Matthews left the show after 13 years.

RELATED: 2023 Premiere Dates For New & Returning Series On Broadcast, Cable & Streaming

The View, with hosts including Whoopi Goldberg, has also been regularly picketed by the WGA. Live with Kelly and Mark, hosted by actors Kelly Ripa and Mark Consuelos, also returned recently with its 36th season. The former’s WGA writers are currently on strike.

Barrymore announced earlier today that she was pausing the return of her talk show amid the criticism she has received from the WGA and her fellow actors.

“I have listened to everyone, and I am making the decision to pause the show’s premiere until the strike is over,” Barrymore announced Sunday on Instagram. “I have no words to express my deepest apologies to anyone I have hurt and, of course, to our incredible team who works on the show and has made it what it is today. We really tried to find our way forward. And I truly hope for a resolution for the entire industry very soon.”

Barrymore’s decision followed a tumultuous few days for the show’s host and executive producer. After issuing an emotional apology video Friday, which was met by even more criticism, Barrymore decided to pull the plug on the show’s return.

Best of Deadline

Sign up for Deadline's Newsletter. For the latest news, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Click here to read the full article.