Sutton murder: Family 'reeling' after boy, 17, stabbed to death in south London high street

A witness has told of the "scene of carnage" after a 17-year-old boy was stabbed to death in a high street in south London.

Police were called to Sutton High Street at about 7.10pm on Tuesday to reports a teenager had been stabbed.

On arrival officers found the boy, suffering with stab wounds.

Despite the efforts of emergency services at the scene near Sutton train station he died as a result of his injuries.

Police said his next of kin have been notified and they are being supported by specialist officers.

A post-mortem examination will be scheduled in due course. A murder investigation has been launched and there have been no arrests.

Det Ch Insp Mike Nolan, who is leading the Met's investigation, said: "This afternoon as Londoners go about their day, a family is reeling from the shock of losing a young family member to violence in our city."

"Our investigation, though in its early stages, is moving at a pace and while we work to establish the circumstances," he added.

A gym goer said: “I’d done a workout then went out into the high street where there were blue lights flashing and a boy on the ground. It was carnage, there were paramedics with equipment and onlookers were in shock. It’s a busy high street there were quite a few people around. There were a group of boys nearby, some had hoods up.”

The scene after the stabbing in Sutton HMichaeligh Street (UKNIP)
The scene after the stabbing in Sutton HMichaeligh Street (UKNIP)

Restaurant worker Hector Fernandez, 24, said: “I was working but heard shouting and police cars puling up. I looked out and saw people in a panic. Someone told me there was a stabbing and the attacker was on the loose. It’s truly shocking this should happen in the streets of London. I’m originally from Colombia which is very violent. You do not expect this in London. It’s bad for the reputation of this great city.”

A crime scene remained in place in the vicinity of Sutton train station on Wednesday.

The station was closed on Tuesday following the incident, with trains not stopping there.

Police were trawling for clues at the scene of the fatal stabbing.

Specialist teams were carrying out fingertip searches as they hunted for a weapon.

Detectives have also collected CCTV from shops on the high street which is well covered by cameras.

Chief Superintendent Andy Brittain, from the Met’s South Area Command, said: “I know that those who live and work in Sutton will be shocked and saddened at the loss of a young life on the streets that they call home.

"I share those emotions and would like to reassure local people that we are doing everything we can to support our homicide colleagues in identifying and apprehending the person, or persons responsible.

“I urge anyone who is concerned to approach officers on patrol and speak with them or get in touch with their Neighbourhood policing team.

“Our thoughts are with the victim’s family at this sad time. I would like to thank the community for their patience as we carry out ourenquiries, and urge anyone with information concerning this incident to get in touch.”

Anyone with information concerning this incident should call the Incident Room direct on 020 8721 4622; call police on 101 or post on 'X' @MetCC quoting CAD 6107/05DEC. To remain 100% anonymous call the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.