Tennis fan ‘gobsmacked’ after being banned from taking photos of Meghan Markle at Wimbledon

Andy Wells
Freelance Writer
A bodyguard tells a tennis fan not to take pictures of Meghan Markle (PA)

A woman who was told she was not allowed to take pictures of Meghan Markle at Wimbledon has spoken of her shock at the order.

Sally Jones, a former BBC Breakfast news sports reporter, said she was “gobsmacked” when the Duchess of Sussex’s protection officer told her to stop taking pictures.

Ms Jones, 64, who was seated in the same row as Meghan in Court One last week, said she was actually taking pictures of Serena Williams and had not noticed the duchess.

The protection officer told her: "Would you not take photographs of the duchess. She's here in a private capacity."

She told Good Morning Britain: “I was a bit gobsmacked. I thought; ‘Have I upset people?’ Then suddenly I felt a bit angry, and a bit bemused.”

A close up shows that the man was actually taking a selfie (PA)

Ms Jones, said that images of Meghan watching the tennis with friends last Thursday show another Wimbledon fan standing up in front of the former actress and taking a photo on his camera phone, before being spoken to by a man believed to be a royal bodyguard.

However, a close-up of the man's phone shows he actually appears to be taking a selfie with the Wimbledon court in the background.

Meghan is also pictured greeting a young spectator in the stands during her visit.

Read more from Yahoo News UK:

Cruise ship toddler 'fell after leaning through open window'

Britain’s biggest warship returns to port after suffering a leak

‘Robocop’ quits the force over mental health issues

Ms Jones described her experience as "another example of silly control freakery”.

She said the bodyguard appeared "quite embarrassed" and she reminded him that the event was televised.

Buckingham Palace has yet to comment.

The Duchess of Sussex's protection officer told another fan she was at the tennis tournament in a 'private capacity' (PA)

Meghan and the Duke of Sussex's approach to privacy hit the headlines after they decided not to reveal details of their son Archie's godparents following his private christening at the weekend.

Graham Smith, from Republic, which campaigns for an elected head of state, said: "The police have no business telling people what photos they can take.

"When public figures are in public people will take photos, that's life.

"Meghan and Harry can't expect special treatment or police protection from curious bystanders.

"Their recent behaviour suggests they want all the privilege and public money but can't even tolerate the public more than they have to."

---Watch the latest videos from Yahoo UK---