Terrifying moment mum-of-eight was thrown from fairground ride revealed as footage released after investigation

Footage has been released of the moment a mum-of-eight was thrown from a fairground ride.

Khadra Ali was ejected from the Xcelerator ride at the Funderpark funfair in Yiewsley, Hillingdon, west London.

The mother suffered multiple fractures to her back, hips, pelvis, ribs and both collarbones.

She spent four months in hospital after also sustaining a significant head injury and internal bleeding.

Mrs Ali went on the fast-motion ride alongside her daughter but was not suitably restrained in her seat.

The mum, who was 45 at the time, screamed for help and tried to cling on as the ride picked up speed.

But she was eventually thrown clear, hitting a barrier and landing on the ground.

Three people and the company behind the ride were prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after what happened.

All three have now received suspended prison sentences after the incident on 10 April 2018.

Investigation found widespread safety failings

Derek Hackett, the ride owner trading as Hackett Fairs, failed to properly maintain the ride.

This was in part due to Perrin Stevens Limited, the manufacturer. The firm's operator manual lacked information on inspection and maintenance of the seat restraint system, the HSE found.

Hackett, of Radcliffe, Manchester, pleaded guilty to health and safety breaches and was given a custodial sentence of 18 weeks, suspended for 18 months, and ordered to pay £4,800 in costs.

Perrin Stevens, of Windsor, Berkshire, also pleaded guilty as a director of Perrin Stevens Ltd to health and safety offences. He was handed a prison sentence of 32 weeks, suspended for 18 months, and ordered to complete 150 hours of unpaid work and pay £11,444 in costs.

David Geary, of Hackney, London, had carried out an annual inspection on the ride as director of the firm DMG Technical. He also pleaded guilty to health and safety breaches and was given a 44-week sentence, suspended for 18 months, and ordered to pay £24,000 in costs.

DMG Technical also admitted a health and safety breach. The company was fined £51,000 and ordered to pay £30,000 in costs.

Nothing can undo 'life-changing injuries'

Mrs Ali, who is now 51, is still living with the impact of her injuries.

Her legal representative said she and her family are "deeply relieved" after the convictions at Westminster Magistrates' Court

But they added: "No outcome can undo the impact of the life-changing injuries on Khadra's health and well-being.

"They hope this marks the beginning of their journey to rebuild their lives and provide her with the support she needs moving forward."

HSE inspector Helen Donnelly said: "Mrs Ali was simply enjoying a day out with her children in what she expected to be a safe environment. As a result she continues to suffer pain and significant impact to her everyday life.

"While this investigation has been long and complex, we hope Mrs Ali and her family will find some comfort with the sentence and see that justice has now been served."