Theatre evacuated as phone catches fire at Jason Manford gig

A theatre was evacuated during a Jason Manford comedy gig after an audience member's mobile phone caught fire.

The stand-up comedian's Twitter account shared a photo of the charred handset after it went up in flames during the interval on Saturday.

An accompanying post read: "The offending mobile phone setting on fire at @The_Lowry tonight! Show should be starting again in 20 minutes. Vicky."

It is unclear what brand of phone was involved in the fire at the Lyric Theatre in The Lowry, Salford, Greater Manchester.

The fire service were called shortly before 8pm but the device had burnt itself out by the time they arrived, the Manchester Evening News reports.

A spokesperson told the paper that the phone's battery had caught fire.

One of the theatre's seats was reportedly damaged and some smoke had spread around the upper atrium and light rigging area.

Manford's show "Muddle Class" had to be delayed after the handset went up in flames.

The comedian shared an image of a fire engine with the post: "On fire tonight at @The_Lowry! #MuddleClass."

:: Listen to the Backstage podcast on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Spreaker

Twitter user Andy Webster shared a photo of a large crowd gathered outside the theatre.

The Lowry posted on Twitter: "The Lyric Theatre was evacuated this evening after a patron's mobile phone overheated during the interval of Jason Manford.

"Our security removed the phone from the venue and the fire service attended as per our emergency procedures.

"Show delayed by approx 20 minutes before continuing."