Three people stabbed to death on eve of coronation in east London

A picture of the scene on Markhouse Road in Walthamstow where a 16-year-old boy was stabbed to death  (Evening Standard)
A picture of the scene on Markhouse Road in Walthamstow where a 16-year-old boy was stabbed to death (Evening Standard)

Three people were stabbed to death in a series of horrific attacks across east London on the eve of the coronation, on Friday.

The unrelated incidents took place over a period of eight hours in Walthamstow, Dagenham and Hackney.

A 16-year-old boy was ambushed as he left a school in east London and stabbed to death in what his head teacher said was a “senseless attack”.

The pupil at Kelmscott School, Walthamstow, was met outside by his attackers who were waiting for him, a resident said. He tried to escape but was stabbed a short distance away.

Police went to the scene but, despite the efforts of emergency workers, he died in the street at 4.39pm on Friday.

Sam Jones, the head teacher, said in a statement that the “senseless” knife attack marked the “darkest of days” for the school community.

Detectives also started a murder investigation after a teenager was stabbed to death after two groups were reported fighting with machetes near Dagenham Heath Tube station.

Police and the London Ambulance Service were called shortly before midnight on Friday and found an 18-year-old man with stab injuries. The victim, named locally as Jordan, died at the scene despite the efforts of the emergency services.

A second man was taken to hospital with a stab injury, and a 20-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder and is in police custody.

Detective Chief Inspector James Shirley said: “My thoughts are with the young man’s family and friends.

“I want to offer my full reassurances to them, and the wider community, that despite the significant events taking place in London today, the focus of my team is bringing the person or people responsible to justice.

“Our investigation is progressing at pace and I would thank everyone who has already spoken to officers. I would ask anyone who has not yet come forward to do so as a matter of urgency. I would also ask local residents to check dash cams and doorbell footage for anything out of the ordinary and share that with us as soon as possible.”

Three people were arrested on suspicion of murder after a man was fatally stabbed at a residential property on Mare StreetHackney.

Police were called at 11.07pm on Friday and found a man in his late 20s, who was declared dead at the scene.

Two men, one in his 40s and the other in his 50s – and one woman in her 50s, have been arrested on suspicion of murder.

They were taken to east London police stations where they remain for questioning, the Met said on Saturday.