Tragedy as brothers die in similar circumstances just 15 months apart

Campbell Road, Stoke
-Credit: (Image: Google Images)

Tributes have been paid to a 47-year-old family man who would 'help anyone' after his sudden death. Police found Andrew Kipling on his bedroom floor in Stoke after concerns had been raised that he had failed to collect his prescription from Cornwells Chemist for a few days.

An inquest into his death heard football-loving Andrew was an alcoholic and sometimes enjoyed taking 'party drugs' alongside his prescribed medication. The tragedy came just 15 months after his brother, Michael Kipling, 49, died in similar circumstances in the same street.

Andrew’s brother, Ben Kipling, told the hearing: “Our other brother died in August 2022 the day before his birthday, and Andrew was down because of that. When he took tablets he wouldn’t just take one or two, he’d take a whole strip.

READ: Coroner to open inquests after three teens killed in Staffordshire crash

READ: Police and paramedics called out as car hits wall on Stoke road

“Andrew was a nice guy, he was a family guy, and he helped anyone. He loved seeing his niece and nephew, and he was supposed to be coming to us for Christmas, but sadly he died a month before. He would come and stay with us during summer too. It’s such a shame, he was only young.”

Ben added: "A couple of months before Andrew passed away he was struggling with chest pains. He struggled to breathe, he struggled to walk and he had an inhaler."

Andrew was found at his home in Campbell Road home last November 16. A postmortem and toxicology report revealed that there was almost double the drink driving amount worth of alcohol in his system, along with a small amount of cocaine, methadone and other drugs.

Area Coroner Daniel Howe concluded: “Andrew Kipling lived in a house of multiple occupancy in Campbell Road, which is also where his death occurred and is recorded on November 16 2023 which is the date he was found, although we do not know if this was the actual date.

“The cause of death will be recorded as toxicity due to a concoction of drugs mixed with alcohol. It appears that Andrew was over-using prescribed and non-prescribed medications, which leads me to a drug and alcohol related cause of death.”

NEWSLETTER: Sign up for email alerts direct to your inbox