Tragedy as Gateshead woman loses four pets in house fire - but five puppies saved by neighbours

A dog owner has been left "a mess" after losing four of her pets in a house fire, but thankfully five puppies were saved by brave neighbours.

Jennifer Logan, 36, came back from a short trip out to find her home in Burnhills Gardens, Greenside, Gateshead up in flames.

Jennifer and her two children were not present when the fire broke out between 2-2.30 on Wednesday afternoon, and sadly, the family's 17-year-old cat, as well as three dogs died. Karma, the three-year-old Patterdale cross whippet, Harry, a one-year-old sprockerpoo, and one of their six puppies passed away.

The rest of the five-week-old litter of two boys and three girl puppies were saved when neighbours saw the fire break out and intervened to rescue the animals inside.

The blaze was believed to have started when an electrical appliance caught fire, leaving the entire bottom floor of Jennifer's family home decimated, with every room in the house smoke damaged. Since the fire, Jennifer and her two children have had to move in with a relative as they look for alternative accommodation.

Speaking about her heartbreak, Jennifer said: "I was getting some food shopping when a neighbour called and I didn't know what to do, so I rushed back home as quickly as possible. When I arrived, neighbours were trying to put the fire out and five out of the six puppies were safe, and then the fire engines arrived, but the other pets that they got out of the house didn't make it.

"I think that, unless you are an animal lover, it is hard to understand just how much of an impact this has had on me. I am just a mess at the moment, everytime I see the puppies I think of their mum and dad.

Jennifer Logan with the puppies that survived a fire at her home in Greenside.
Jennifer Logan with the puppies that survived a fire at her home in Greenside. -Credit:Chronicle Live

"Considering what happened I would like to raise awareness with people to make sure that they take precautions like having working smoke alarms, as this was such a shocking accident. I would also like to thank all of the neighbours who put themselves at risk and did their best to save the animals."

One neighbour, Ben Thompson, was instrumental in getting the five puppies, who have yet been named, to safety. He added: "As soon as I saw the blaze I ran outside and dragged the hose over in order to try and put the fire out.

Puppies saved from a house fire
Puppies saved from a house fire -Credit:Iain Buist/Newcastle Chronicle

"There was so much going on and I was just in a blind panic, even just thinking about it now sends a shiver down my spine. One positive is that it was great to see how everyone in the street rallied around Jennifer when it happened."

A Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: "We can confirm that on Wednesday (1st May) two crews from Swalwell and West Denton Community Fire Stations attended a house fire in Ryton. Two fire appliances were deployed to an address on Burnhills Gardens, Greenside following an emergency call received early afternoon.

"The concentration of the fire was on the ground floor of the residential property with no persons being reported, but sadly, a number of domestic animals passed away in the fire. Our crews left the scene at 2.54 pm once the fire had been safely extinguished."