Tragedy as mum-of-six, 31, dies suddenly

Jade Farquhar
Jade Farquhar -Credit:Facebook

A mum-of-six tragically died at the age of just 31 after 'simply taking too much medication'.

Jade Farquhar found herself in 'severe discomfort' after having twins, an inquest into her death heard. She was prescribed painkillers including codeine, morphine, pregabalin and diazepam to try and help with the pain, Lancs Live reports.

She became addicted to the medication and sadly died on November 30 last year after having taken 'just taken too much'. A coroner said she had experienced an 'awfully tough time' before her death.

READ NEXT: Thug who brutally attacked 'loving dad' before leaving him to die in the street guilty of murder

The inquest heard how on the November 30 last year, Jade invited a friend round to her house in Fowler Height Close in the Mill Hill area of Blackburn. Her friend went to sleep at around 11pm and in the morning she woke up to find Jade unresponsive.

Paramedics were called but Jade was tragically pronounced dead. An inquest held yesterday (May 17) heard that Jade had previously asked for help with her painkiller addiction and longed to be abstinent.

Assistant Coroner Richard Taylor said: "Toxicology revealed codeine use and the concentration is much higher than usually encountered and is within the range encountered in fatalities. The concentration of total morphine is also within the range encountered in fatalities."

The toxicology report revealed that although the levels of pregabalin and diazepam in Jade's blood were within the ranges seen in therapeutic use when taken alongside other painkillers they can enhance the toxic effects and increase the risk of death.

Members of Jade's family who attended the inquest at Accrington Town Hall said they were convinced that she had accidentally taken too many pills. The coroner agreed and said: "It would appear that she has simply taken too much of her medication.

"She has had an awfully tough time. She had to move property and there were allegations made against a former partner. She was addicted to painkillers and she must have been in severe discomfort; she has just taken too much."

Jade's sister Lorraine told the coroner: "She wouldn't have done anything deliberately without writing something to her kids. She was fighting to get them back."

Mr Taylor returned a conclusion of misadventure; where death is the unintended outcome of an intended action, and said: "Jade Emily Farquhar was found dead on December 1, 2023, at her home having ingested an excess of prescribed medication."

After the inquest Jade's sister Lorraine said: "Her kids made her happy. She never got over the loss of our mum seven years ago."

After Jade's death her family launched a GoFundMe in which they said: "She left behind six beautiful babies, four sisters and one brother as well as cousins, nieces and nephews. Jade was 31 which is no age to die."

Read more of today's top stories here