Tumble dryer fire causes 'severe damage' to house after two in 24 hours

Damage caused to a tumble dryer after it went on fire in Mynythno, Gwynedd
Damage caused to a tumble dryer after it went on fire in Mynythno, Gwynedd -Credit:North Wales Fire and Rescue Service

Fire chiefs have again issued a tumble dryer warning, after a house was badly damaged in a fire. The property in Mynythno, on Tuesday afternoon (April 9), was one of two blazes involving tumble dryers, in Gwynedd in 24 hours and follows a spate of fires involving the appliance. A review is underway to see if there is "any correlation."

The fire service has released photos of the damage to the tumble dryer in Mynythno, as part of an appeal, to help avoid incidents. The blaze caused "severe damage" to the house and two of the residents required precautionary checks in hospital after.

Crews had also been called to a fire involving a tumble dryer, in an outhouse in Caernarfon, at 2:06am the same day. They follow fires involving tumble dryers, in Broughton which damaged two properties on the March 25, a fire in in Denbigh on March 6, in Buckley on March 3 and in Ruthin on February 28.

READ MORE: Biker chose wrong car to overtake on the A470 in expensive mistake

READ MORE: 'I've never seen it like this' - Call for more support as Storm Pierrick floods homes on estate

Paul Kay, Head of Fire Safety for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said: “A fire can be devastating for all involved - causing damage and disruption and in the worst cases, loss of life.

“We’re appealing to residents to follow some simple steps we should all be taking when using our tumble dryers to help everyone stay safe.”

These steps include:

  • Don’t overload plug sockets - the high wattage for a tumble dryer means that it needs its own 13-amp socket. Keep an eye out for any scorching or burn marks, including checking any visible electrical wires.

  • Don't leave appliances unattended – don't turn the tumble dryer on before you leave the house or go to bed. Tumble dryers contain powerful motors with fast moving parts that can get very hot.

  • Keep your dryer well ventilated, make sure the vent pipe is kink free and not blocked or crushed in any way.

  • Always clean out the filter after using your tumble dryer.

  • Always allow each drying programme, including the 'cool down cycle', to complete fully before emptying the machine. If you stop the machine mid cycle, the clothing will still be hot.

  • Don’t ignore the warning signs – if you can smell burning or clothes feel hotter at the end of the cycle, stop using your appliance and have it checked out by a professional.

Paul added: “Most importantly of all – make sure you have a working smoke alarm and test it regularly – we recommend once a week.

The tumble dryer fire badly damaged the house
The tumble dryer fire badly damaged the house -Credit:North Wales Fire and Rescue Service

“You should also ensure you have an escape plan for you and your family should a fire occur – and once you're out of the house, you should always stay out, and never go back in.

"No trend had been identified as yet with make/models - the most important thing is for all residents to follow our safety advice when using all tumble dryers. We're undertaking an internal review of all incidents to better understand if there is any correlation."

Sign up now for the latest news on the North Wales Live Whatsapp community

See what's happening in your area: