Advertisement

Warning after tumble dryers catch fire as people try to save money during cost of living crisis

A fire as a result of a tumble dryer at a house in Mirfield left the property blackened and damaged. (Twitter/@WYFRSFireInvest)
A fire as a result of a tumble dryer at a house in Mirfield left the property blackened and damaged. (Twitter/@WYFRSFireInvest)

Households have been warned not to use tumble dryers overnight following a number of fires caused by the appliances overheating.

With bills and inflation rising, many people are choosing to leave electrical products on at night time, when the cost of power is cheaper for people on certain deals.

This on not the case for most households, who are charged the same for their energy usage throughout the day and night.

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service (WYFRS) warned that using the appliances at night can be dangerous.

It comes following several incidents in recent weeks, including one in Normanton, Wakefield, on Sunday when crews were called to a house fire which had been caused by a tumble dryer.

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue said households should make sure they undertake 'proper maintenance' of tumble dryers. (Twitter/@OxonFireRescue)
Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue said households should make sure they undertake 'proper maintenance' of tumble dryers. (Twitter/@OxonFireRescue)

Two people needed to be treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics.

Another incident in Mirfield, West Yorkshire, last month saw residents escape unharmed from a tumble dryer fire, while crews attended another blaze at a home in Lindley, Huddersfield shortly after 11pm.

WYFRS said that no smoke alarms were installed in the property and the occupant suffered smoke inhalation.

Watch: Handy hack to help slash the cost of drying clothes by up to 80%

Fire prevention manager Sarah Laidlow-Moore said there are steps people can take to avoid a devastating fire in their home.

She said: “People need to be aware of the dangers of leaving electrical products unattended – especially at night when they are asleep.”

She recommended households avoid overloading sockets and buying safer branded appliances, while also checking the wiring as much as possible.

The average household's annual energy bill will currently be £2,500, up from £1,277 last winter (Yahoo News UK/Flourish)
The average household's annual energy bill will currently be £2,500, up from £1,277 last winter (Yahoo News UK/Flourish)

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue also highlighted the importance of “proper maintenance” of tumble dryers to avoid fires.

A fire in the early hours of this morning which destroyed a home in Trefor, Gwynedd, Wales, as a result of an overheated tumble dryer prompted Welsh Fire and Rescue Services to warn people not to leave them on overnight.

Tumble dryers can overheat if not well ventilated. (Getty)
Tumble dryers can overheat if not well ventilated. (Getty)

They advised making sure tumble dryers are well ventilated, while also ensuring the vent pipe is kink-free and not blocked or crushed.

Cleaning the filter after every use is also recommended.

Some people do have cheaper electricity at night but this is generally dependent on the tariff they have with their energy provider. The majority of households are charged a flat rate for their energy.

National figures from Electrical Safety First show there were 2,661 tumble dryer fires between 2014 and 2019.