The two chilling words Lucy Letby said as she was handed a new whole-life order

Lucy Letby has been given a whole life sentence for her crimes and former inmates have spoken of what she will face
-Credit: (Image: PA)

Baby killer Lucy Letby said 'I'm innocent' as she was handed another whole-life order for attempting to kill a newborn. The 34-year-old uttered the chilling words as she was led from court after discovering her fate.

She was today (Friday, July 5) handed a further whole-life order for attempting to murder a baby girl in February 2016. It comes after she was last year told she would die behind bars for murdering seven babies and attempting to kill six more.

She is already serving 14 whole-life orders for those offences, which took place at the Countess of Chester Hospital's neonatal unit between June 2015 and 2016. On Friday, Mr Justice Goss imposed a 15th whole-life order and again told her she will spend the rest of her in prison.

READ MORE: Sir Keir Starmer's food rule for their children and his wife's NHS job

Don't miss the biggest and breaking stories by signing up to the BirminghamLive newsletter here.

He then told dock officers to take her down. As she was led away, she turned and said: "I'm innocent." Letby, from Hereford, was sentenced after a retrial at Manchester Crown Court on a single count of attempted murder.

She was working a night shift at the hospital when she targeted the 'very premature' baby - known as Child K. The baby was moved from the delivery room into the intensive care unit in the early hours of February 17.

Letby dislodged her breathing tube about 90 minutes after she was born. The prosecution said she went on to interfere with the tot's breathing tube twice more during the same shift to create the impression it was accidentally displaced.

Consultant paediatrician Dr Ravi Jayaram caught her 'virtually red-handed', telling jurors he saw 'no evidence' Letby had tried to help the deteriorating baby.

There was no call for help from Letby and no alarms were sounding when Child K's blood oxygen levels dropped. Letby was standing next to the infant's incubator when Dr Jayaram walked in, the court heard.

Letby denied the offence, claiming she had no recollection of it and did not accept it had taken place. She denied harming Child K and insisted she did not commit any of the offences she had been convicted of.

Child K was transferred to a specialist hospital later on February 17 and died there three days later. Letby was initially charged with the murder of Child K but the charge was dropped in June 2022 when the prosecution offered no evidence.