Two dogs die after 'poisoning' at popular Devon beauty spot

Lucy McCance's dog died after a visit to Fingle Bridge
Lucy McCance's dog died after a visit to Fingle Bridge -Credit:Lucy McCance

The National Trust is investigating claims of poisoning after two dogs died at a popular beauty spot near Exeter. The owners have been left heartbroken after their pets died following a visit to Fingle Bridge.

The scenic route near Drewsteignton runs beside the River Teign and is visited by thousands of dog walkers each year. Tests have yet to confirm the cause of the deaths but one theory is that the animals ate some poo which transferred a poison.

Owner Lucy McCance wants to warn other dog walkers to be extra careful. She said on Facebook: "My beautiful and precious dog was killed this weekend in a poisoning incident, along with my very dear friend’s dog.

Read More

"Both healthy, full of life and love. Just out for a lovely walk and run around in the sunshine near Fingle Bridge. What a gorgeous day it was! What an appalling and horrific outcome. We are all devastated.

"The only thing we saw them both very interested in was some poo. The theory is that they ate some poo from an animal that had been poisoned and died as a result.

Lucy McCance with her dog
Lucy McCance with her dog -Credit:Lucy McCance

"Their bloods have been sent off for analysis. It has come to light that a number of dogs have become ill after walking there, including one that was kept on the lead. I wish I had known. I wish that this alerts other dog walkers to a potential danger there and no one else has to go through this."

The National Trust, which manages the land, said: “We are aware of two incidents reported to us of dogs falling ill after being exercised near or on land at Fingle Bridge on Dartmoor. We are very sorry to hear that subsequently two dogs have died.

"We take this very seriously and our rangers are investigating and searching our land – so far nothing has been found and there is no evidence of anything on land in our care that could have caused the dogs to fall ill. Our thoughts are with the owners of these family pets during this difficult time.”