Two men jailed for beating recent graduate to death after bike incident

Joseph Stott, 34, and Aidan Matthews 31, were jailed on Friday at Manchester Crown Court after being found guilty of his murder.
Joseph Stott, 34, and Aidan Matthews 31, were jailed on Friday at Manchester Crown Court after being found guilty of his murder. (Greater Manchester Police)

A new dad and his friend have been sentenced to life imprisonment for beating a recent university graduate to death after a bike incident.

Emergency services were called to Wythenshawe Road on June 4 at around 6pm to reports of a serious assault.

Recent graduate David Allan, 23, was found on the street with serious injuries.

He was rushed to hospital in a critical condition where medics battled to save his life but he died the next day.

Joseph Stott, 34, and Aidan Matthews, 31, were sentenced on Friday after being found guilty of his murder at Manchester Crown Court.

Read: 'Dangerous sexual predator' used wig to disguise himself as a woman before sexually assaulting teenager

The court heard that Allan was walking along the pavement towards Tesco on Moorcroft Road when three boys rode at him on their bikes, according to a statement from Greater Manchester Police.

Allan shoved one of the boys who then fell off his bike and the trio quickly rode off, the court heard.

But one of the boy’s mothers apparently then drove to Tesco to confront Allan outside the supermarket.

When Allan started to walk away to go home, the boy’s mother shouted across the street to a van, the police statement said.

Matthews got out of the vehicle to confront Allan then the pair got into a fight.

The 31-year-old then drove off to pick up Stott, who had just become a dad to a baby girl, according to local news reports.

Watch: Jailed terrorist admits involvement in Manchester Arena bombing

Meanwhile, the 23-year-old continued to walk home, the court heard.

After picking up his friend from an address on Bolam Close, Matthews drove at speed down Aldfield Road onto Moorcroft Road where the pair caught up with Allan, the police statement said.

The two men got out of the van and immediately attacked him, knocking him to the ground.

Matthews was armed with a large metal torch which he used to hit David, whilst Stott kicked him.

The pair then left David on the floor, got back in the van and even collided with another vehicle as they drove away, the court heard.

Both men were arrested after they had changed their clothing and disposed of the torch used in the attack.

Read: Security guard jailed for raping woman who mistook his car for pre-booked minicab

On Friday, they were sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum of 16 and 18 years respectively.

Senior Investigating Officer, Duncan Thorpe, from the Major Incident Team, said: "This was a horrific attack that escalated from a petty argument and has left a family utterly devastated.

"David was attacked in broad daylight and left for dead. Stott and Matthews tried to hide their tracks and get away but the large quantity of evidence our officers uncovered has left them having to face justice.

"David still had his entire life ahead of him and our thoughts remain with his family."

Watch: Man jailed for life for murder of teenager Louise Smith