Two-month warning to report changes to HMRC or risk £300 fine

Thousands of people being warned they could face a fine if they don't report certain information to HMRC. Upcoming changes this summer will apply to people who claim tax credits from HMRC.

HMRC is currently sending out renewal packs to claimants and will be continuing to do so until June 19. This is because the deadline for claimants to renew their tax credit claim is July 31 and around 730,000 people will be sent renewal packs, according to the Mirror.

If this applies to you you will have until the end of July to inform HMRC of certain changes to your circumstances which might affect how much support you get. It is important for you to do this as you could be fined if your information is not correct. To get the latest money stories straight to your inbox twice a week sign up to our newsletter here.

READ MORE: Billions worth of DWP and HMRC benefits going unclaimed in Wales - how to check if you're eligible

READ MORE: Energy bills set to fall for millions as announcement expected within days

What changes do I need to report to HMRC?

Once you get your renewal pack you will have until the end of July to tell HMRC of any changes to your circumstances that could affect your claim. According to the government's website you need to report any of the following:

  • Living circumstances change, for example you start or stop a relationship, move in with a new partner, get married or form a civil partnership, permanently separate or divorce

  • Child or partner dies

  • Child stops going to childcare for four weeks or more when they would normally go

  • Childcare costs stop, go down by £10 or more a week, or you start getting help with them

  • Child leaves home, for example moves out or goes into care

  • Child is taken into custody

  • Child over 16 leaves approved education or training or a careers service

  • Childcare provider is no longer registered or approved

  • Working hours fall below 30 hours a week (combined if you’re in a couple with children)

  • Working hours fall below or go above the minimum required to qualify

How do I report these changes and what happens if I don't?

You can renew your tax credits claim on the government website by searching "manage my tax credits" or using the HMRC app. You can also call HMRC on 0345 300 3900 and you'll need the following information before you get started:

  • Your National Insurance number

  • Details about any changes to your circumstances – eg. if your salary has changed

  • The 15-digit reference number on your renewal pack

  • Your total income for the last tax year. If you're applying for tax credits as a couple you'll need to provide how much your partner earned too

According to the benefits charity Turn2Us your tax credits will be renewed automatically if your renewal form has the code "TC 603 R". This means you do not need to send a reply. If your claim is renewed automatically your renewal pack will have letters with a black line across the first page. If this is the case all you need to do is check your details are correct.

If you don't reply by the deadline you could lose your tax credits or have to repay the credits you have since April 6, 2024. You should inform HMRC of any changes within a month ideally. If you don't you risk being fined up to £300 and up to £3,000 if you give wrong information. These fines also apply if you don't give HMRC the correct information when renewing this summer. You should get in touch with HMRC if you don't receive your renewal pack by June 15.