Tyson Fury vs Oleksandr Usyk ‘off’ as Plan B for Ukrainian is revealed
Tyson Fury and Oleksandr Usyk’s planned title fight will not go ahead, the Ukrainian’s promoter has said.
Instead, Usyk is expected to take on another Briton next, in mandatory challenger Daniel Dubois.
Fury and Usyk have been in talks over a clash at London’s Wembley Stadium on 29 April, to crown an undisputed heavyweight champion. Ukrainian Usyk accepted a purse split of 70-30 in Fury’s favour, but the fighters were reportedly unable to agree on further terms. One sticking point appeared to be a rematch clause, with Fury, 34, calling on Usyk to go without one, before the 36-year-old accused the “Gypsy King” of suggesting the clause in the first place.
Usyk’s promoter Alex Krassyuk told Talksport on Wednesday (22 March): “The fight is called off. The reason for that is it went too far. There was a feeling that, after Usyk accepted 70-30, Tyson Fury started to think he can put a saddle on his neck and start riding Usyk as much as he can. It is not right.
“Usyk accepted the 70-30 split. He was so loyal, and he was so willing to make this fight happen, but this fight is not about Tyson Fury; it is about the WBC belt and expanding his collection. If it is so complicated that Tyson tries to avoid it by putting so many obstacles in front of making the deal, then there is no need to put more effort into it.
“The only thing that stays in my mind is that undisputed stays our highest priority, and we will do our best to make it happen within the shortest period of time – and whoever is the temporary holder of the WBC belt, we will try to make it happen.
“If I start telling you the list of things [Fury] wanted, 15 minutes would not be enough. There was a list of things he wanted to get in his favour, which were absolutely unacceptable – and complete disrespect to the unified champion and former undisputed [cruiserweight] champion.”
Fury’s promoter Frank Warren later told Talksport that the issue had been over a purse split for a potential rematch, but added: “We want the fight, why can’t it be overcome?”
If negotiations do fall through entirely, unified champion Usyk is likely to face WBA mandatory challenger Dubois next. Dubois, like Fury, is represented by Warren.
Meanwhile, Fury’s next step as WBC champion would be unclear. The Briton has previously teased the possibility of a fourth fight against Deontay Wilder, whom he dethroned with a TKO win in 2020 – after the pair fought to a draw in 2018, and before Fury stopped his rival again in 2021 to retain the WBC belt.
Fury and Usyk are both unbeaten, and the winner of a fight between the pair would become the first undisputed heavyweight champion since Lennox Lewis in 2000.
Prior to winning the WBA, WBO, IBF and IBO titles from Anthony Joshua in 2021, Usyk reigned as the only ever undisputed cruiserweight champion in the four-belt area.
Click here to subscribe to The Independent’s Sport YouTube channel for all the latest sports videos.