UK tourists trigger health alert at Turkish resort

A health alert was triggered in Turkey after UK tourists scattered the ashes of a dead family member in the sea - sparking panic. Health authorities in Marmaris have launched an investigation and have taken water samples from the site.

The regional District Health Directorate has issued a warning that spreading ashes in the sea could be a health hazard. The tourists who waded into the sea for the 'ceremony' had travelled to Uzunyalı beach, which was a favourite location for their relative, reports the DailyMail.

There are rules in Turkey limiting bringing human ashes into the country, where cremation is illegal. There is lengthy process involved in getting permission to scatter ashes in Turkey.

Some airlines allow passengers to take ashes to Turkey in carry-on luggage.