UTV accident claims lives of two teens

May 17—MEIGS- The Meigs community is in mourning after losing two young people in a UTV accident on Thursday night.

According to the Thomas County Sheriff's Office, deputies and emergency personnel responded to an accident involving a UTV and a pickup truck at approximately 5:30 p.m. on Thursday.

Reports indicate that five juveniles were riding in the UTV, traveling south on Johnson Street when they entered the intersection directly in front of a pickup truck traveling north on North Church Street in Meigs.

The driver of the pickup attempted to avoid a collision, but struck the UTV with its front end, causing the UTV to overturn several times.

The driver of the UTV, a 16-year-old from Pelham and another 14-year-old passenger from Meigs suffered fatal injuries, while the other three were transported to Archbold Memorial. They were life flighted to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital, Wolfson Children Hospital in Jacksonville and Shands in Gainesville. All juveniles involved were between the ages 14 and 16, some of whom attended Thomas County Central.

"The unimaginable tragedy of the passing of our students has deeply affected our entire school community," said Superintendent Dr. Lisa Williams. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the families, friends, and loved ones of those we have lost during this incredibly difficult time. The loss of these young lives is immeasurable, and their absence will be deeply felt by all who knew them."

Williams went on to extend the County School System's heartfelt prayers to the other students involved in the accident.

"We pray for their swift and full recovery and offer our support to their families during this challenging period," she said.

Williams has mobilized the school system's crisis response team to provide counseling and support services to students and staff during this time.

"In our time of grief, we stand together as a school system and community, offering strength and comfort to one another," she concluded.

The accident is currently being investigated by Georgia State Patrol. However, no charges are expected at this time.