Hurricane Ian clean up efforts were paused as volunteers took turns to play tunes on a damaged piano in Matlacha, Florida, on Wednesday, October 5.
Video recorded by David Boot captures an impressive performance of the rhythm and blues classic ‘Kansas City’ by a volunteer. Boot shared the video to Facebook with the caption: “Through all of the debris I still found a bit of happiness”.
Cook told Storyful that the group of volunteers were delivering ice and gas for Hurricane Ian victims when they came across the piano.
“It was a bright spot in our day!” Cook said. Credit: David Boot via Storyful
- Come on, Ray Charles. Sing me one.
- Oh, let me [INAUDIBLE] a bit.
- He only knows one song.
- And he doesn't know-- oh, come on. Play it. Play it, please.
- We got the master right here.
- Yeah, boy!
- Hold that out for me. Hold that out for me. Hold that out for me.
- That should.
- Break it down. Break it down.
- That was [INAUDIBLE].
- Oh yeah!
- (SINGING) Well, I'm going to Kansas City. Kansas City, here I come. [INAUDIBLE] Kansas City. Kansas City, here I come. We got [INAUDIBLE] and I'm gonna get me some.
- Ah! [INAUDIBLE]