Watch: Dog starts house fire by accidentally switching on stovetop

This is the moment a dog started a house fire in Colorado Springs after accidentally turning on the stovetop on 26 June.

Footage captures the dog sniffing at boxes on the counter, and when it jumped down, flames quickly started to jump out from the bottom of the boxes.

Before long the fire had reached the ceiling, filling the kitchen with smoke.

The homeowner woke up and managed to extinguish the fire before the fire department arrived, and was transported to hospital for smoke inhalation.

No other injuries were reported.