Woman finds growth inside her water bottle - but says 'I don't care' despite poisoning risk

Woman drinking water bottle
Many people in the comment section were concerned (stock image) -Credit:MIREYA ACIERTO/Getty

A woman says she 'doesn't care' and will keep drinking from her water bottle even after finding mould growing inside it. TikToker Katherine, who goes by the username Notaverykatherinewood, told viewers "I have a confession to make."

She admitted: "I have been drinking out of it, and there is hella mould in it. But I just don't care. Call me clinically insane, I just don't care."

She then proceeded to show viewers the inside of her water bottle's lid, with dark brown mould growing around it. "Is that bad?" she asked, before taking a big gulp from it.

She also found mould was growing inside her straw and around the part her mouth touches. "It's not that I don't wash it, because I do, it's just don't know what else to do to prevent it.

"I guess I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope I don't get mould poisoning," she ended the video by saying. The clip has been viewed more than 1.8million times, with plenty of people expressing concern in the comment section.

Isabela said: "Oh no because I’d have to throw the whole bottle away. How are you drinking comfortably from that!!!" M added: "do what u want for real but mould can make u really sick sometimes." Kiera stated: "Nah this is crazy."

Em admitted: "The way I got SO sick from drinking out of my Stanley with mould because I was too lazy to wash it." Antonia penned: "I got mould poisoning it was so bad."

Maddy asked: "Why wash it when all I do is refill with water." Gab replied: "Because there’s bacteria in your mouth/saliva that grows with water contact???"

Is mould poisoning a real risk?

In recent years, reusable water bottles have become a ubiquitous accessory, with trendy brands like Stanley and Hydro Flask becoming household names. However, as their popularity soars, so does the risk of overlooking proper cleaning and maintenance.

Recent news stories have shed light on the potential consequences of neglecting this crucial aspect, with reports of individuals falling ill due to bacteria build-up in their water bottles. Moulds produce allergens (substances that can cause an allergic reaction), irritants and, sometimes, toxic substances.

How does it affect your health?

Inhaling or touching mould spores may cause an allergic reaction, such as sneezing, a runny nose, red eyes and skin rash. Moulds can also cause asthma attacks.

If you're in regular close contact with mould, you are more likely to have respiratory problems, respiratory infections, allergies or asthma. Mould can also affect the immune system.

Neglecting to clean your water bottle can have severe consequences for your health. Melissa Caverly, founder of Imagine Maids, explains the risks.

"Bacteria, mould, and other harmful microorganisms can thrive in the moist and dark environment of an uncleaned bottle, leading to a range of illnesses, including gastrointestinal issues, respiratory infections, and even more severe conditions," Melissa says.

"I highly recommend checking sites like YouTube to see if anyone has uploaded specific cleaning instructions for your water bottle brand. One unlucky college student didn’t know how to properly disassemble her water bottle’s lid, which led to bacteria building up in a section she never properly cleaned, which affected her health. If you know exactly where to clean, you can stop the same thing happening to you."

The material of the water bottle also plays a role in determining the best cleaning method. Melissa notes, ‘Plastic bottles can be washed with warm, soapy water, while metal and glass bottles may require a more gentle approach to avoid scratches or damage.’