The FIA have announced that Andretti Formula Racing are the only team who have been approved for a potential entry into F1.
World motorsport’s governing body opened an “expressions of interest” process at the start of the year, with prospective entries invited to bid for a spot as an 11th team on the grid, potentially as early as when new regulations come into play in 2026.
The likes of New Zealand-based Rodin Cars, British junior team Hitech GP and an Asia-based entry known as Lucky Suns were all considered but Andretti – owned by Michael Andretti, the son of 1978 F1 world champion Mario – are the only team whose application has been approved, following a partnership announced with General Motors’ brand Cadillac at the start of this year.
The process now moves onto rights holders FOM (Formula One Management) to consider the bid on a commercial basis. A statement from F1 on Monday said they will now “conduct their own assessment of the merits of the remaining application”, with the evaluation likely to take a number of months.
FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem said: “Our objective, after rigorous due diligence during the application phase, was to only approve prospective entries which satisfied the set criteria and illustrated that they would add value to the sport.
“The FIA is obliged to approve applications that comply with the Expressions of Interests application requirements and we have adhered to that procedure in deciding that Andretti Formula Racing LLC’s application would proceed to the next stage of the application process.
“In taking that decision, the FIA is acting in accordance with EU directives on motorsport participation and development.
“Andretti Formula Racing LLC was the only entity which fulfils the selection criteria that was set in all material respects. I congratulate Michael Andretti and his team on a thorough submission. I also want to thank all prospective teams for their interest and participation.”
Andretti Autosport, to be rebranded to Andretti Global in 2024, confirmed a partnership with GM at the start of the year.
The two American automotive and motorsport giants joined forces and with GM represented by the Cadillac brand, the Andretti Cadillac team would be formed. The team would be based in the USA with a support facility in the UK.
Andretti also detailed at the start of 2023 that the team would compete with at least one American driver. Colton Herta, one of Andretti’s IndyCar drivers who missed out on an F1 seat this year due to not having the requisite superlicence points, would be the frontrunner.
Andretti currently race in eight different motorsport platforms around the world, including IndyCar and Formula E.
Rodin founder David Dicker confirmed last week that their application to join the F1 grid – including a guaranteed spot for a female driver – was not accepted by the FIA.
Audi have announced their entry into Formula 1 from 2026 when new regulations come into force, though they are effectively taking the place of Sauber/Alfa Romeo on the grid. Ford will also enter the sport in 2026, teaming up with Red Bull.