Autism school 'devastated' by death of two staff members in horror motorway crash

‘Devastated’ – Prior’s Court in Berkshire said it was ‘devastated’ after two members of staff were killed in a motorway crash (Picture: Getty)

Staff at an autism school have been left devastated after two colleagues were killed in a motorway crash with a lorry.

The staff members from Prior’s Court in Berkshire were in a minibus returning to the specialist school with three young adults who had been on a work placement when it was involved in a collision with a lorry on the M4 on Thursday (October 11).

The school said two of its staff died at the scene while three more, including the driver, were taken to hospital with serious injuries.

The three young adults were also taken for assessment and treatment, although they were not seriously hurt, while the driver of the lorry was also taken to hospital with minor injuries.

Mike Robinson, Chief Executive at Prior’s Court said; “I speak on behalf of us all at Prior’s Court when I say we are devastated about the road traffic collision which happened today. I send my deepest condolences to the families, friends and colleagues of the two people who lost their lives.

“At this time, there are three further staff members receiving treatment and my thoughts are very much with them and their families. In such tragic circumstances, we are grateful that all the young people involved are safe and without serious injuries, and we will be doing everything we can to safeguard their wellbeing at hospital and upon their return.”

MORE: M26 motorway secretly being turned into giant Brexit car park
MORE: Italy’s volcano Mount Etna is sliding towards the sea and ‘is more dangerous than thought’

Emergency services were called to a stretch of the M4 in Berkshire at 12.20pm on Thursday after the two vehicles collided between junction 14 at Hungerford and junction 13 at Chieveley.

The motorway was closed in both directions so air ambulances could land at the scene and the major route remained closed for nine hours on Thursday.

The school said officers from the Joint Operations Serious Collision Investigation Unit had started an investigation to try and determine the cause of the incident and anyone who may have seen what happened or who has dash-cam footage of the incident is asked to contact police.