Bedroom destroyed by fire after vape left on charge

A fire service has released pictures of the burnt-out room in Chelmsford as a warning.

The bedroom in Chelmsford was destroyed by the fire. (The Essex County Fire and Rescue Service)
The bedroom in Chelmsford was destroyed by the fire. (The Essex County Fire and Rescue Service)

A fire service has released images of a bedroom destroyed by a fire started when a vape was left on charge.

Firefighters were called to the property in Chelmsford, Essex, at 9.42am on Thursday to reports of a house fire.

Residents had come home and saw smoke coming from the upstairs windows.

On arrival, fire crews reported that a bedroom on the third floor of a townhouse in Shardelow Avenue was on fire with smoke coming out of the windows.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the house, extinguished the blaze, and discovered it had been caused by a vape on charge.

Electronic cigarette on black background
A fire was cause by a vape on a charger (not pictured). (Getty)

The Essex County Fire and Rescue Service are now highlighting the importance of staying in the room when devices are on charge following the incident.

Station Manager Nick Singleton said: “Our control room were great on the phone to reassure the residents and advise them how to stay safe while they waited for us.

“Our advice when you discover a fire in your home is always to get out of the house, stay out and call the fire service.

“If you're charging any electrical device, we recommend you stay in the room while charging.

“Don’t charge devices longer than recommended and make sure you use a charger recommended by the manufacturer.

“If you need to buy a new charger or device, make sure it confirms to the British Standards for fire safety.”

A selection of disposable, single-use vape products advertised for sale in a high street shop as the Local Government Association, a representative body of councils across the United Kingdom, call for a ban on single-use disposable vapes in the country amid numerous concerns of the health and environmental risks posed by vaping, particularly to children, on 3rd August, 2023 in Margate, United Kingdom. (photo by Daniel Harvey Gonzalez/In Pictures via Getty Images)
Disposable vapes "are to be banned to help protect children". (Getty)

Vaping ban

It comes as disposable vapes are to be banned to help protect children, reports suggest.

The ban could be announced at the Conservative Party conference in Manchester this week, according to the Telegraph.

Ministers are said to be drawing up plans to outlaw the products, which are said to be targeted at those under 18.

The Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health has previously called for a ban on disposable vapes as it warned that “youth vaping is fast becoming an epidemic among children”.

England’s chief medical officer, Professor Sir Chris Whitty, has said previously: “If you smoke, vaping is much safer; if you don’t smoke, don’t vape; marketing vapes to children is utterly unacceptable.”

Read more

Earlier this month figures from the Office for National Statistics showed a large increase in vaping among teenagers and young adults in Britain.

In 2022 some 15.5% of 16 to 24-year-olds vaped daily or occasionally, up from 11.1% in 2021.

NHS figures also show a rise in the number of children admitted to hospital due to vaping.

Forty children and young people were admitted to hospital in England last year due to “vaping-related disorders”, which could include lung damage or worsening asthma symptoms, up from 11 two years earlier, the NHS said.

How to protect your home from a fire

Essex County Fire and Rescue Service advise:

  • Make sure you have smoke alarms on every floor of your home and test them regularly.

  • Take extra care in the kitchen and never leave cooking unattended.

  • Avoid using a chip pan or any other pan filled with hot oil.

  • Don’t overload electric sockets – most can only take a maximum of 13 amps.

  • Keep matches and lighters away from children.

  • Keep clothes well away from heaters and open fires.

  • Put out cigarettes properly and dispose of them carefully.

  • Don’t charge items such as mobile phones, tablets or e-cigarettes overnight.

  • Plan an escape route and make sure everyone knows how to get out in the event of a fire.