A ‘biohacker’ who once injected himself with an untested vaccine has been found dead in a sensory deprivation floatation tank, it has been reported.
Aaron Traywick, 28, was found dead in a spa on Sunday morning in Washington DC, Buzzfeed News said.
While the cause of death has not been revealed, police apparently do not suspect foul play.
Traywick was the CEO of a biotech startup called Ascendance Biomedical, which claimed to make cutting-edge biomedical technology and new life-saving medicines.
He sparked controversy after publicly testing non-approved medicines on himself.
At a biohacker conference he injected himself with a gene-altering herpes treatment made by his company.
And a few months before that, his colleague Tristan Roberts injected himself with a experimental HIV treatment.
MOST POPULAR TODAY ON YAHOO
- James Bulger’s father in legal battle to reveal child killer Jon Venables’ true identity
- Schoolboy suffering life-threatening condition died under 24 hours after hospital discharged him
- You are more likely to drink alcohol if you do these jobs
- Couple left girls, aged four and 11, alone on holiday in Majorca while they went out to get ‘paralytic’ drunk
- Wife admits to lying to police about army sergeant husband accused of sabotaging her parachute
Roberts confirmed Traywick’s death on Facebook. He described Traywick as a “passionate visionary” and “a warrior for a better future.”
He was quoted as saying: “He seemingly never tired as he brought people together to work on some of the most imposing challenges facing humanity. While many in the biohacking scene disagreed with his methods, none of them doubted his intentions.
“He sought nothing short of a revolution in biomedicine; the democratization of science and the opening of the flood gates for global healing.”