Bruno Tonioni says he won't 'interfere' with 'Strictly' judging as he talks remote role

Amy Johnson
·2-min read
Craig Revel Horwood, Shirley Ballas and Bruno Tonioli during the opening night of the Strictly Come Dancing Arena Tour 2020 at Arena Birmingham on January 16, 2020 in Birmingham, England. (Photo by Dave J Hogan/Getty Images)
Craig Revel Horwood, Shirley Ballas and Bruno Tonioli during the opening night of the Strictly Come Dancing Arena Tour 2020 at Arena Birmingham on January 16, 2020 in Birmingham, England. (Photo by Dave J Hogan/Getty Images)

Bruno Tonioli has explained he won't "interfere" with the judging process on the upcoming series of Strictly Come Dancing as he is only able to appear remotely.

The long-time judge won't feature in his usual capacity as he is currently residing in LA to film Dancing with the Stars and is unable to fly between the US and UK due to the coronavirus pandemic.

However, he will be making appearances via video link on the results shows while Craig Revel Horwood, Shirley Ballas and Motsi Mabuse carry out the main judging duties.

Read more: Everything you need to know about the Strictly 2020 contestants

“I will watch the show and then we’ll do a segment which will be shown on the results show – it’s like another view," he shared on ITV's Good Morning Britain.

Bruno Tonioli has opened up on how he will fit in to the upcoming Strictly series. (ITV)
Bruno Tonioli has opened up on how he will fit in to the upcoming Strictly series. (ITV)

"It wouldn’t be right for me to interfere in the judging process because I’m not there. There’s things you see when they’re 8ft away from you. Craig, Shirley, Motsi know exactly what they’re doing.

“[It will be] my point of view, overall, pointing out this and that.. I’m glad that I’m able to do it.”

When Tonioli's ability to appear in the upcoming series was in doubt, Cheryl had been rumoured as a replacement.

He went on to say he'd be happy for The Greatest Dancer judge to take over in his stead, however it was later disclosed that he wouldn’t be replaced.

Craig Revel Horwood (left), Motsi Mabuse, Shirley Ballas and Bruno Tonioli (right) arriving at the red carpet launch of Strictly Come Dancing 2019, held at BBC TV Centre in London, UK. (Photo by Ian West/PA Images via Getty Images)
Craig Revel Horwood (left), Motsi Mabuse, Shirley Ballas and Bruno Tonioli (right) arriving at the red carpet launch of Strictly Come Dancing 2019, held at BBC TV Centre in London, UK. (Photo by Ian West/PA Images via Getty Images)

The BBC have said the Italian star will be returning full time toward the end of the series, which typically concludes in December.

Read more: Strictly will have live studio audience, BBC confirms

This year's Strictly will have a shorter series length than previous years due to the pandemic and also a reduced amount of contestants.

While 2019's series featured 15 stars, the 2020 line-up consists of 12 famous faces.

Those competing in the programme are; Bill Bailey, Caroline Quentin, Clara Amfo, HRVY, Jacqui Smith, Jamie Laing, Jason Bell, JJ Chalmers, Maisie Smith, Max George, Nicola Adams and Ranvir Singh.