Tearful Caroline Flack banned from seeing boyfriend as she denies assault in court

Tearful Caroline Flack banned from seeing boyfriend as she denies assault in court

Caroline Flack has been banned from contacting her boyfriend Lewis Burton after pleading not guilty to assaulting him in a tearful appearance at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court in London.

It comes as she was charged with assault on 12 December.

The 40-year-old was expected at the court on the charge of assaulting the former professional tennis player and model by beating him at her flat in Islington earlier this month.

Caroline Flack pleaded not guilty to assault at Highbury Corner Magistrates' Court. (PA)

The court heard Burton, 27, is not supporting the prosecution with Paul Morris, defending, stating that the sportsman "has never supported" the case against Flack.

“He is not the victim, as he would say, he was a witness,” Morris said.

Caroline Flack at Highbury Corner Magistrates' Court. (Joe Giddens/PA Wire)

Katie Weiss, prosecuting, retorted: “Mr Burton is a victim, he received significant injury to his head.”

Flack's solicitor made an application to have a bail condition banning her from talking to her boyfriend lifted.

TV presenter Caroline Flack arrives at Highbury Corner Magistrates' Court charged with assault. (PA)

Morris said: “They had been in a relationship all of this year and he appears in court today to support her and they remain a couple.

“She wants to spend time with her partner. If the conditions were lifted there would be no concerns.

Lewis Burton arrives at Highbury Corner Magistrates' Court, where his girlfriend Caroline Flack is charged with assault. (PA)

“It’s not an irrelevant point, it’s Christmas, it’s New Year, she’s suffered enough.”

Flack cried into her hands as Morris spoke in the court. He added: "She is in the public eye – this case has been scrutinised, she will conduct herself properly."

Court artist sketch by Elizabeth Cook of TV presenter Caroline Flack appearing at Highbury Corner Magistrates' Court where the Love Island presenter plead not guilty to assaulting her boyfriend Lewis Burton. (PA)

Weiss said the trial would use body-worn footage from the police officers at the scene and a 999 call.

Flack has been released on bail with conditions that stop her having any contact with Burton ahead of her trial on 4 March next year.

Flack was arrested after the incident at approximately 5.25am on Thursday 12 December after reports of a man being assaulted.

Caroline Flack leaves Highbury Corner Magistrates' Court in North London today. December 23 2019. (SWNS)

Burton also appeared outside the north London court today ahead of the hearing.

On Sunday night Flack took to her Instagram Stories to share an emotional post to followers.

Caroline Flack leaves Highbury Corner Magistrates' Court in North London today. December 23 2019. (SWNS)

She wrote: "This is the worst time of my life. I don't know where to go to. Where to look. Who to trust. Or who I even am."

Last week Flack stepped down from her presenting role on the upcoming winter series of Love Island, which is due to kick off in January, stating that she didn't want her personal life to "detract attention" from the programme.

Lewis Burton leaves Highbury Corner Magistrates' Court in North London today. December 23 2019. (SWNS)

Her replacement has since been announced as Laura Whitmore. However, ITV has said it will keep in touch with Flack with regard to future series.

With reporting by PA.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting.