A seven-year-old girl who was taken from a Roma couple in Dublin on suspicion she was not theirs has been proved to be their daughter.
The schoolgirl has now been reunited with her parents after spending two nights in care following her removal from the family home in a south Dublin suburb.
The child was taken by the authorities on Monday afternoon after a member of the public raised concerns about her appearance compared with that of her relatives.
Her parents maintained the girl was their daughter since she was taken from them, and the results of the DNA tests have now confirmed this.
Earlier on Wednesday, a two-year-old boy was returned to his Roma family in Athlone after being removed overnight.
The incidents have sparked fears of hysteria in the wake of the case of the blonde-haired, blue-eyed girl named Maria , who was found living with a Roma family in Greece.
There is an international hunt to find the parents of the girl, who is said to be aged between four and six years old.
DNA tests have proved that the couple with whom Maria was living, Christos Salis, 39, and Eleftheria Dimopoulou , 40, are not her parents. They are being held on charges of abduction and document fraud .
A human rights group has called for an independent inquiry into the Irish cases. The organisation that supports the rights of Irish travellers, Pavee Point, accused the police and health officials of racial profiling.
A 21-year-old sister of the child, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, said their mother had not eaten for three days because she was so distraught.
She said: "The most important thing now is that my sister is coming back."
The family's lawyer, Waheed Mudah, said: "Our clients are absolutely delighted that their daughter is coming home. Her removal has been a cause of huge upset to her parents, her brothers and sisters (and) to the young girl herself.
"Our clients also wish to say that they do not believe that what has happened to their family over the last few days should ever have happened.
"They believe there are very serious questions arising about the procedures used in this case, but are going to wait for this to settle and then consider their position and that of their daughter in light of recent events and will be taking legal advice in respect of this."
A police statement said: "An Garda Siochana want to assure the community that we take extremely serious all reports received from members of the public concerning child welfare issues. In all cases immediate steps are taken to protect the welfare of the child in accordance with relevant statutory provisions and obligations."
The Minister for Justice, Equality and Defence, Alan Shatter said: "An Garda Siochana and the HSE have to deal with very difficult situations and have to make very difficult decisions when dealing with issues of child protection. They can be open to criticism for either doing something or doing nothing.
"In the past, for example, the authorities have been criticised for not intervening to protect children at risk. In each of these cases, the Gardaí responded in good faith to concerns expressed to them."
Meanwhile, a second Roma couple have been arrested in Greece on suspicion of abducting a child after authorities found a two-month-old living with them on the island of Lesbos.
Police said initial evidence suggested they were not the baby's parents as they had tried to get a birth certificate without producing hospital records.
The Supreme Court has ordered prosecutors across the country to be alert for discrepancies in birth certificates going back six years because of the Maria case.