Dramatic moment Daniel Gee is arrested while buying a sandwich

Dramatic CCTV footage shows the moment Daniel Gee was arrested while buying a sandwich.

Armed police stormed a local off licence on Albion Drive in the Kirkless area of Wigan in Greater Manchester almost a month on from when Gee absconded from prison. The former gangster was buying a sandwich but moments later he was staring down the barrel of a gun as he was ordered to get down in the small shop.

The CCTV, given to the ECHO by a neighbour, shows the moment Gee and an accomplice walk up to the shop before armed police storm the building and arrest him. The second man, who is seen standing outside the shop, is also believed to have been taken away by police, although it is yet to be confirmed as to whether any further arrests have been made.

READ MORE: Ellis Cox's final words to mum minutes before he was shot

READ MORE: Daniel Gee arrested just 20 miles from Liverpool

Speaking to the ECHO the day after the arrest, one man in the area said he saw Gee being arrested and led away by police, with him said to be laughing and joking with police after complying with officers. Six unmarked police cars are believed to have attended the scene, with the road being blocked off, as armed police are seen running up the gravel path to the shop.

The man, who asked to remain anonymous, said: "Yesterday he was buying a sandwich he was chatting away then next minute the police come from nowhere. They must have known he was in the shop. He complied with officers as they told him to get on the ground. They hand cuffed him and he was smiling and laughing with them as he was led away."

K's Grocers & Off Licence where Gee was arrested on Albion Drive
K's Grocers & Off Licence where Gee was arrested on Albion Drive -Credit:Liverpool Echo

The former Everton gangster, who turned his own estate into a 24 hour drug trading zone, absconded from Kirklevington Grange prison in North Yorkshire on May 27 before his arrest on Tuesday.

Gee was originally jailed on an indeterminate sentence for the public's protection in 2010 following his conviction for gun offences after he plotted to arm himself to take revenge against a teenager. The courts heard he had plotted to arm himself after making death threats to 16-year-old gunman Jamie Starkey.

Gee was seriously injured after being shot by Starkey, which happened outside an Anfield pub in the early hours, with one of the bullets piercing his stomach and lung before going out his back. In a trial in October 2009, Gee was found guilty of two counts of threats to kill and another two of blackmail.

Jurors were unable to agree on the two more serious charges of conspiracy to murder and conspiracy to possess firearms and ammunition. As his second trial was about to start, Gee, formerly of Maryport Close, Everton, admitted the second charge. Prosecutor Ian Unsworth KC said Gee’s desire for revenge “knew no bounds”.

Given Gee was in a category D open prison before he absconded, it was likely he would have soon been released from his indeterminate sentence. However, following his capture, he will be returned to prison and will have to serve additional time before he is eligible for parole.

One neighbour, Angela Whalley, a mum-of-one who has grown up in the area, told the ECHO how the area had "gone down hill".

The 54-year-old support worker said: "It's just got worse. We used to leave the doors open, people would come in freely, we knew all our neighbours when I was growing up. It's all changed now.

"There used to be a waiting list to live on this estate, now look at it. There's drug dealing outside the front door, cars come and go, lads on push bikes. I've lived here all my life, it's a shame."

Don't miss the biggest and breaking stories by signing up to the Echo Daily newsletter here