Fifteen-year-old dies after being electrocuted by iPhone in bathtub

Irina Rybnikova died after taking her phone into the bath while it was charging (CEN)

A 15-year-old girl has reportedly died after being electrocuted by her iPhone while having a bath.

Irina Rybnikova was killed in the city of Bratsk in the central Russian region of Irkutsk Oblast when she took a bath with her phone on charge.

According to local media, the teenager was messaging friends and dropped her iPhone in the water because her fingers were wet.

She was then electrocuted and died from heart failure before her body was found by her distraught parents.

“She was an incredible person and my best friend. She wanted to be successful in every sport and we planned to move to another city to study,” a close friend of Irina told local media.

“Everyone loved her, she was friendly, kind and very beautiful.”

Irina was fond of martial arts and regularly took part in tournaments.

According to reports, she recently won the Russian Youth Pankration Championship, which is an ancient sport that combines elements of wrestling and boxing.

While this kind of fatality is unusual, it is not unheard of.

In March 2017, Richard Bull, from Essex, died while he was charging his phone.

Mr Bull had left the phone on his chest and suffered severe burns when the part between the phone charger and the cable had made contact with the water.

—Watch the latest videos from Yahoo UK—