Flames tear through Coventry home as huge blaze leaves man injured

It happened on Gulson Road
It happened on Gulson Road -Credit:Submitted

A man was left injured after a large fire tore through an end-of-terrace property in Coventry. It happened on Gulson Road in Stoke.

Firefighters from Coventry, Foleshill, Sheldon and Leamington Spa were called to the residential city street on Friday (May 10). Flames could be seen tearing through the residential address as the blaze took hold at around 5.10pm.

Crews discovered a large fire on the ground floor of an end-of-terrace house on Gulson Road. Officials said its cause is yet to be established.

READ MORE: Teenager seriously injured after car and moped crash in Coventry

READ MORE: Dog owners rave about affordable treats ideal for training that are 'big hit with fussy pets'

Paramedics found that a man, who was in the garden, had suffered smoke inhalation and minor injuries. He was taken to University Hospital Coventry in Walsgrave.

Nobody else was injured, said West Midlands Fire Service. Firefighters managed to tackle the blaze in less than an hour but continued working at the scene into the evening (May 10).

Firefighters on Gulson Road on Friday, May 10
Firefighters on Gulson Road on Friday, May 10 -Credit:Felicia Coventry

A spokesman for West Midlands Ambulance Service said: “We were called to reports of a property fire on Gulson Road at 5.19pm on Friday (May 10). Crews discovered one patient, a man, who was treated for injuries not believed to be serious before being taken to University Hospital Coventry and Warwickshire.”

A spokesman for West Midlands Fire Service said: “Shortly before 5.10pm on Friday, May 10, we responded to Gulson Road in Coventry. Firefighters from Coventry, Foleshill and Sheldon responded, the first arriving within five minutes of being mobilised.

“Crews were supported by two fire engines from Leamington Fire Station, crewed by firefighters from Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service. A man was led to safety from the garden and is believed to have been conveyed to University Hospital Coventry.

“Gulson Road was closed whilst we worked at the scene but re-opened a short time later. We left the scene at 8.50pm.”

Sign up for our FREE daily newsletter here for all the latest news about Coventry.