Fools put hot BBQ in general waste bin right next to BBQ bin

Firefighter extinguishing an accidental beach bin fire
Firefighter extinguishing a fire in a beach bin -Credit:Padstow Community Fire Station

Firefighters have warned beachgoers of the dangers of disposing a disposable barbecue incorrectly after crews rushed to battle a bin fire at a Cornish beauty spot. Firefighters from Padstow were called on Saturday night (May 11) at around 7.32pm to a bin fire in Harlyn Bay.

When crews arrived, they found the fire to be caused by an disposable BBQ which had been incorrectly thrown away. The hot BBQ was placed in a plastic general waste bin, which was next to a metal BBQ waste bin.

Firefighters extinguished the bin fire to prevent it spreading further. Beachgoers have since been warned to use the appropriate bins when disposing of a BBQ to prevent accidental fires.

Read more:

Posting to social media, Padstow Community Fire Station said: "The crew were called to a fire in a bin in the carpark for Harlyn Bay. The fire was found to be caused by a disposable BBQ placed in the general waste bin, right next to the metal BBQ bin. If you use a disposable BBQ at the beach please use the appropriate bins to dispose of them."

Fire engine at Harlyn Beach
Fire engine at Harlyn Beach after a disposable BBQ caused a bin fire -Credit:Padstow Community Fire Station

Cornwall Fire and Rescue has a list of guidelines to using disposable BBQ safely in the summer. They are as follows:

  • Never take a smouldering BBQ into a tented area or concealed area with no ventilation as the BBQ will give off carbon monoxide fumes.

  • Ensure that the barbecue itself is stable and located on level ground and if you are anywhere other than in your own garden - remember the Country Code.

  • If there is a wind blowing, make sure that the wind is blowing away from you when you light the barbecue (just in case it flares up).

  • Ensure that you are not wearing any loose clothing that could flap onto the lighted barbecue and ignite.

  • Keep the barbecue well away from over hanging obstructions such as tree branches, and keep a safe distance from fences, garden sheds, tents and caravans.

  • Do not use any flammable liquid other than recommended barbecue lighting fluid. Never use methylated spirits, paraffin or petrol.

  • Preferably use fire lighters. If you choose to use lighting fluid, follow the manufacturers instructions and do not spray onto a hot barbecue - it may blow up in your face.

  • When lighting the barbecue, do so at arms length (rather like fireworks) and do not put your face over the range.

  • Keep children away from the barbecue when lighted and after cooking has finished, as it may still be hot. Ensure matches and lighters are placed out of reach from children.

  • Dispose of the charcoal safely after the barbecue has cooled completely. Those using gas powered barbecues should check gas pipe lines before use and ensure that the gas cylinder is connected correctly.

⚠️ Want the latest Cornwall breaking news and top stories first? Click here to join CornwallLive on WhatsApp and we'll send breaking news and top stories directly to your phone. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you’re curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.