New James Bond director Cary Joji Fukunaga breaks silence on replacing Danny Boyle

Safeeyah Kazi
Going Forward: Fukunaga said he feels he has a responsibility: AP

Cary Joji Fukunaga has broken his silence on replacing Danny Boyle at the helm of Bond 25.

The American filmmaker was unveiled as the new director after Boyle announced he was stepping down from his role last month.

“I’ve wanted to do one of these [Bond films] for a long time, so that’s not new,” he told IndieWire.

“So right now it’s just kind of dealing with the shock that it’s real and the honour obviously and now the responsibility.”

Moving On: Danny Boyle has parted ways with the project (EPA)

The news comes after producers Barbara Brocoli and Michael G Wilson confirmed Fukunaga's appointment in a statement on Thursday.

“We are delighted to be working with Cary," they said. "His versatility and innovation make him an excellent choice for our next James Bond adventure.”

Final: Craig is set to play James Bond for one last time (AP)

Filming will begin March for a release date of February 14, 2020, months later than the original 2019 date.

Boyle parted ways with the upcoming film over "creative differences," three months before production was due to start.

A statement released on the official 007 Twitter account read: "Michael G. Wilson, Barbara Broccoli and Daniel Craig today announced that due to creative differences Danny Boyle has decided to no longer direct Bond 25."

Names bandied about as possible replacements included Christopher Nolan and Lynne Ramsay, who would have been the franchise's first female director.