Jay Slater's last phone call 'cut off' by mystery caller as friend shares last conversation

Jay Slater's final promise to friend - before mystery phone call ended last chat
-Credit: (Image: ITV)

Jay Slater's best friend has shared the details of the last conversation he had with the missing teen before their phone call was cut short.

Brad Hargreaves said 19-year-old Jay made a promise to him that he would phone him back before he went missing in Tenerife on June 17. Speaking on This Morning, Brad, also 19, became emotional as he spoke of Jay's "zest for life".

As he shared the details of their last conversation, he said: "He was on the phone and he goes: 'I've got to walk and go all down that road'. He added that Jay had promised to call him back but hung up as "someone else was ringing him."

Jay, from Lancashire, vanished after attending a music festival on the Canary Island. He was last heard from by his friends, as he told them he was hours away from his accommodation with a very low phone battery.

Brad said that Jay would have avoided going down the road he had mentioned during their phone call as he said that Jay would have taken a safer path.

As reported in the Mirror, Brad then revealed that he could hear Jay's feet slide on the rocks, signalling to him his friend had "went off the road.. That's how I knew he went off the road because, you know when you walk on gravel, or whatever it is, you can... you know what I mean, stones."

The search for Jay Slater continues
The search for Jay Slater continues -Credit:Facebook

Upon hearing his friend slip, Brad wasn't worried about Jay at the time. However, since his disappearance, he is now worried that the fall could be related to Jay's whereabouts. "Not at the time because we were both, like, laughing about it. He said: 'look where I am'", he assured, "he didn't seem concerned on the phone until we knew how far away he were."

"I said: 'put your location on." He said: '15 minute drive, fourteen-hour walk.' I don't know if it's accurate or not so I said to him: 'it's only a 15-min drive, get a taxi."

Jay was last located walking from an Airbnb where he had travelled with two British men he had met at the festival - who have since reportedly flown back to the UK.

Jay left the property, located in the northwest mountainous region of Teno Rural Park, on Monday morning after reportedly saying he wanted to get back to his hotel, however missed the bus. With just one per cent battery left on his phone, he called his friend Lucy Law to warn her that he had "no idea" where he was and that he was thirsty, but he was making the gruelling 11-hour trek back to the accommodation.

Ever since, police have been scouring the area of his last registered location, however he is nowhere to be seen. His mum, Debbie Duncan, and other family members have flown out to the Canary Island to join the desperate hunt, who have in recent days been accompanied by a leading British detective, along with amateur sleuths.

Don't miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond - Sign up to our daily newsletter here.