The pro dancer was paired with Bake Off star John Whaite in the last series of the BBC ballroom show, with the pair making history as Strictly's first all-male couple.
Speaking on Loose Women – where an all-male panel had taken over for the day – Radebe said he tends not to spend much time on social media anyway because it “plays with” his mind.
“After everything, because you know, you get the trolls, you get everything,” he said.
.@jojo_radebe discusses the backlash he received on social media after he was one half of the first ever all-male partnership in Strictly history.
Watch the chat 👉 https://t.co/xixSEQzoNc pic.twitter.com/mxr486bwsf
— Loose Women (@loosewomen) May 12, 2022
“I was like, I am opening myself to a world that is out there that does not deserve to have an opinion about my life.”
But the star, who is South African, said he did have a look at what people were saying when he was paired with Whaite.
“I did have a glimpse because you know what, there is good out there which was nice to see,” he said.
“But there was also backlash and it was just not nice to hear things like, ‘Do not come back to Africa because of who you are’ and stuff like that.”
Radebe and Whaite were a big hit on the BBC ballroom show.
And earlier this year Radebe revealed that it had changed his relationship with his mum.
Speaking on This Morning, he said: “For the first time we can speak about my sexuality openly.”
Read more: Strictly 2021's best moments of the series
Watch: Strictly's John and Johannes reveal training fall out