The 72-year-old radio DJ chose to retire from his weekday morning show after 31 years with the BBC to move to Greatest Hits Radio. But his departure was "sped up" by bosses so his final show aired a month before his contract ended.
Bruce has now told The Times: “I was annoyed because I thought, ‘I’m reasonable. I’m not being difficult. Neither were you . . .’ I think the idea is just to create a bit of space between me and Vernon starting.”
He is to be replaced on Radio 2 by Vernon Kay.
He announced on Friday 24 February and revealed his final episode will be Friday 3 March, just one week later.
Bruce said it had been his decision to leave the radio station and he had not been interested in entering a bidding way for more money.
He said: "“They were surprised, I think. They said they wanted to offer me another contract and they’d been planning to, but they hadn’t actually done so yet, but by then I’d made my decision."
He added: “I said quite clearly, ‘I’ve actually signed contracts.’ So there was no point in a bidding war. I wasn’t going to start one. That’s not the way I work.”
Ken Bruce's new show on Greatest Hits Radio will begin on Monday, 3 April.
He is taking his hit quiz game PopMaster with him.
Temporary replacement DJ Gary Davies launched new quiz Ten To The Top following his departure, which has fallen flat with fans.
Kay will take over mid-mornings on BBC Radio 2 in May.
Bruce first joined the corporation in 1977 as a BBC Radio Scotland presenter and his first regular slot on Radio 2 was the Saturday Late Show in 1984.
His departure from Radio 2 comes amid a huge shake-up of the channel which has seen many older DJs leave, including Vanessa Feltz, Steve Wright, Paul O'Grady and Craig Charles, while Tony Blackburn's show has been moved from Friday to Sunday.
Watch: Ken Bruce bids farewell to the BBC