Killers who tortured and murdered mother of two will never be freed from jail

The pair have been given whole life sentences (PA)
The pair have been given whole life sentences (PA)

Two convicted killers who brutally tortured and killed a young mother while on parole will spend the rest of their lives in jail.

Stephen Unwin, 40, and William McFall, 51, murdered Vietnamese nail technician Quyen Ngoc Nguyen in a grotesque four-hour ordeal which ended in the twisted killers throwing her body into the back of her car and setting it on fire.

The victim, a mother-of-two, was luredto Unwin’s home in Shiney Row near Sunderland, where McFall was waiting, Newcastle Crown Court has heard.

Unwin was also convicting of raping the 28-year-old, who was just 5ft and weighed seven stone.

Mr Justice Morris ruled they should never be released, sentencing both to whole-life jail terms with no opportunity for parole.

The judge said: “Stephen Unwin, you are a calculating, manipulating and ruthless killer.

Their victim was a mum-of-two (PA)
Their victim was a mum-of-two (PA)

“William John McFall, you are an extremely violent man capable of monstrous behaviour.”

McFall shouted angrily from the dock: “That’s your personal opinion.”

The victim’s sister, Quynh Ngoc Nguyen, 35, had earlier read a victim statement, saying: “We cannot comprehend how men like this can live freely in this country.

“My sister believed, as I did, that you came to this country for a safer life, with better opportunities for herself and her children.”

She said the entire family had been left devastated by the horrific murder and her nephew had even asked if he could go to heaven to visit his mother.

Unwin had a history of setting fires to destroy evidence at the scenes of his crimes.


On Christmas Day in 1998, he battered a pensioner to death during a break-in at his home. The fire he started to cover his tracks meant the victim could only be identified by his medical records.

Unwin admitted the murder, he was sentenced to life and was released on licence in December 2012.

He met McFall in prison, where he was also serving life for murdering a pensioner.

McFall attacked his victim with a hammer after she disturbed him breaking into her home in Carrickfergus in May 1996. He was jailed for life and later released on licence in October 2010.

Jamie Hill QC told the court: “In cases where a defendant has been convicted of murder for a second time, normally the starting point for sentence would be a whole life order.

“In the common parlance, life without parole.”

The judge was asked to consider whether the murder was racially aggravated, as the killers swapped text messages including a reference to “raping the chink”.

The pair ate curry as their victim lay lifeless on the floor before they dumped her in the burning car by some allotments.

They took £1,000 from her bank accounts, after torturing her for the PINs.

Dapinder Singh QC, for Unwin, urged the judge not to impose a whole life tariff.

Nicholas Lumley QC, for McFall, said his client continued to deny the murder and regretted coming into contact with Unwin after his release as his life was “on track” in Blackpool.

The pair worked together in the North East maintaining properties for landlords, and also stealing cannabis from drugs farms.

Mr Lumley said: “He (McFall) attributes his involvement in this terrible incident to his weakening to Mr Unwin’s charms.”